November 20, 2020
Dear Bellingham HS Families,
Sincere KUDOS to all of you for contributing 1,999 pounds of food and donating $1,000 in gift cards during our Food Drive this week. A great deal of fun and a huge success! The van is super full, and all geared up for deliveries! What a wonderful gesture of compassion toward our fellow community members during this challenging time. On behalf of the BHS staff, thank you!
In my conversations with students and parents through various meetings I repeatedly hear recognition that while working remotely makes learning really difficult and stressful at times for students, that it must be equally tough for teachers. We are truly in this together! Your thoughtfulness is certainly appreciated, and your acts of kindness and generosity such as the food drive are examples of what will help us all get through this pandemic. Stronger, together!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration next week and take advantage of a much-deserved rejuvenating break!
Joseph Doucette, Asst. Principal
- State COVID-19 Assistance Hotline is a general information line related to COVID-19. If you need information or have a general question, call 1-800-525-0127 or text 211-211 for help. You can also text the word “Coronavirus” to 211-211 to receive information and updates on your phone wherever you are. You will receive links to the latest information on COVID-19, including county-level updates, and resources for families, businesses, students, and more.
- Washington Listens helps people manage stress and anxiety they may be experiencing because of COVID-19. If you or anyone you know is having difficulties managing stress, call the Washington Listens support line at 1-833-681-0211. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. TTY and language access services are available by using 7-1-1 or their preferred method. Resources and self-help tips are available on walistens.org.
This Week in BHS Video:
Donate today to the BHS PTSA Fall of Thanks Campaign. We're all in this together and your donation allows us to say "Yes!" to more requests.
If you are able to give this fall, please consider making a $25 donation and know that any and all donations are greatly appreciated.
100% of your contributions are tax deductible and directly support our BHS community by funding:
- teacher grants to enhance online and classroom learning
- the Principal's Discretionary Fund to allow discrete and confidential support of students in need
- COVID safe community building activities
- Senior graduation celebration activities
- college scholarships
- and so much more
Make your gift today via PayPal or by check made out to the Red Raider PTSA and dropped off in the PTSA box next to the ASB office or mailed to:
2020 Cornwall Avenue
Bellingham WA 98225
Free meals continue for all students...
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has extended the free meals program into the 2020-21 school year. This means all children ages 0 to 18, plus our students who attend Community Transitions, will continue to receive free meal boxes. You will no longer need to provide a name or PIN at pickup.
We encourage all families to pick up a free box of 14 meals and support our food services program and the Good Food Project in Bellingham Public Schools, as well as our local community. In every week’s box, we will provide a scratch-made entrée out of our Central Kitchen with ingredients sourced from local farms when available. Now is a great time to bring the school cafeteria into your home with these meals. By picking up a box, you will keep farmers in business, district staff employed and families fed.
Note on free and reduced priced meals application: Families should apply for free and reduced priced meals online as we start the school year. It is unclear how long the USDA funding for free meals will continue. Go to bellinghamschools.org/food-services for the Letter to Household which gives the income guidelines and a link to the online application.
Career and Community Events
Career Center News
Scholarships 101 Workshop December 16 at 10:30am email email@example.com for more information.
The Canadian Colleges are coming!
- Tuesday, Dec 1 - University of British Columbia 1:00pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Tuesday, Dec 1 - Kwantlen Poly Tech 2:00pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Dec 2 - Simon Fraser University 10:30am (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Dec 2 - University of Victory 11:30am (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Wednesday, Dec 2 – Trinity Western University 12:30pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Thursday, Dec 3 – Academy of Interactive Entertainment 2:00pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Thursday, Dec 3 – Northwest College of Art and Design 2:00pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
- Tuesday, Dec 8 – Seattle Film Institute 1:00pm (send me an email I will send a Zoom link)
The Career Center webpage has been updated.
Take a look at the new scholarship bulletin and virtual college and career events.