Jr. Wolverine News
Happy New School Year
September Awareness Month
The Sioux City Community School District recognizes that good attendance is essential to academic success. So, we’ve joined a nationwide effort to celebrate Attendance Awareness Month in September. Nationwide, far too many students are at risk academically because they are chronically absent. Chronic absence is described as missing 10 percent of the school year—or about 18 days – for any reason, excused or unexcused. Research shows that’s the point at which absenteeism begins to affect student performance.
During Attendance Awareness Month, we are asking you to help us reduce absenteeism locally by taking these steps:
- Build a habit and a culture of regular attendance.
- If there are challenges that make it difficult for your student to attend school, let us know so we can help.
We will also host conferences on Sept 28 for all families from 8am - 8pm. To schedule your conference, you can visit the website listed below. Any open time on either day can be scheduled to meet with your child's teacher.
West High Homecoming
All classes will watch the parade at 1:30 on Friday. If you would like your student to watch the parade with you, you must sign your child out in the office by 1:15. Our 5th graders will be walking the parade route representing Liberty.
Monday (9/11): Class Color Day
- Kindergarten - Orange
- 1st Grade - Purple
- 2nd Grade - Green
- 3rd Grade - Blue
- 4th Grade - Red
- 5th Grade - Yellow
Tuesday (9/12): Pajama Day!
- Wear school appropriate Jammies
Wednesday (9/13): Twin Day!
- Twin up and dress like a friend!
Thursday (9/14): Superhero Day!
- Dress as your favorite Superhero
Friday (9/15): WEST Spirit Day
- WEST is BEST!!
September Important Dates
- September 11 - 2:30 dismissal (Teacher Professional Development)
- September 12 - PTO @ 6:30 (Liberty Media Center)
- September 18 - 2:30 dismissal (Teacher Professional Development)
- September 21 - ESL Parent Teacher Conferences 4-6:30
- September 22 - First Day of Fall
- September 25 - 2:30 dismissal (Teacher Professional Development)
- September 28 - No School Parent Teacher Conferences 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- September 29 - No School (Teacher Exchange Day)
House Shirt Fridays!
The goal is to have all students wear their house shirts each Friday as well as on days when we have house events and celebrations. We will communicate when these events fall on a day other than Friday.