"The people who run the economy"
Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook
Duties and Responsibilities
- examine financial statements to be sure they are accurate and comply with laws
- deal with taxes, ensure they're payed on time or what is owed
- inspect procedures for efficiency and proper use of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Most work full time
- One in five work over 40 hours a week
- longer hours occur during tax seasons and end of budget years
Top 4 Accounting Firms:
- Deloitte and Touche
- Ernst & Young
- Accountants have a median salary of about $62,000
- median wage was just under $30.00
- 4 year degree (bachelor's degree)
- requires accounting degree or degree in similar area
- Depaul University is one of the best business colleges in Illinois
- great people skills; there could be a lot of traveling to clients to go over financials
- good with numbers, great with math overall
Most people who are loyal to their accounting firm strive to become partner of the firm or possibly even start their own accounting business. This takes years of dedication and hard work and pays off in the end.
The employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow up to 16% which is about average compared to most occupations.