By : Halima Batani & Asna Khalid
The Importance of friendhsip in Frankenstein .
Although he has had good fortune in finding a ship and crew, and is about to set out on the quest for knowledge that he craves, he feels sorrow due to his lack of companionship."I have no friend, Margaret: when I am glowing with the enthusiasm of success, there will be none to participate my joy; if I am assailed by disappointment, no one will endeavour to sustain me in dejection." Letter 2, pg. 4 . This is what deprives Walton from experiencing any pleasure in his life, holding him away from what could have been an otherwise great life.
Connection to Frankenstein
As a child , Victor grew up in a very loving home. He had a mother and father who were always there for him and taight him how to love others in his life . His parents love their children so much that the mother dies in order to rend to her sick daughter .
‘’ No human being could have passed a happier childhood than myself . My parents were possessed by the very spirit of kindness and indulgence . We felt that they were not the tyrants to rule our lot according to their caprice , but the agants and creators of all the many delights which we enjoyed ‘’ .
This quotes goes along with companionship in that it shows how Victor realizes that he has had a blesses childhiid. He has not given the monster the same life and love that his parents gave to him .
‘’ When my father returned from Milan , he found playing with me in the hall of our villa a child fairer than pictured cherub-a creature who seemed to shed radiance from her looks and whose form and motions were lighter than the chamois of the hills ‘’ .
This is describing Victor’s first companion. This is the first time Victor’s life that he has felt true companionship. He find this in his new sister . She provides the companionship and friendship that he uses as a basis o fulfill his life as a creator .
‘’ Anew Species would claim me as its creator and source ; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me . No father should claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs . ‘’
Victor finally created a companion . This creature is his son . He feels that since he created this life he should claimed as the best father , even tough he does not take responsibility like a caring father would .
‘’ It was dark when I awoke ; I felt so cold also , and half frightened , as it were instinctively , finding myself so desolate . Before I ghad quitted your apartement , on a sensation of cold , I had covered my self with some clothes ; but these were insufficient to secure me from the dews of night . I was a poor , helpless , miserable wretch ; I knew , and could distinguish, nothing ; but feeling pain evaded me on all sides , I sat down and wept ‘’ .
This shows that Victor was negligent and did not know how to deal with the life that he had created out of death in the cold of winter. The monster was cold and alone just like his surroundings . Victor’s lack of fatherly love to his monster has turned the monster into what he is today.
‘’ All men hate the wretched; how then ,must I be hated , who am miserable beyond all living thing ! Yet you , my creator, detest and spurn me , if thy creature , to whom thou art bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us ‘’ .
This is explaining the importance of companionship by the monster speaking up for himself and telling Victor that he felt lonely . He felt as if no one loved him , especially the one person who person , his creator .
‘’ When I looked around , I saw and heard of none like me . was I , a monster , a blot upon the earth from which all men fled and whom all men disowned ?’’The monster looked around and realized he was alone even upon meeting the blind man . The man and his family still do not accept him and he is realizing he is different and no one wants to accompany him .
Interesting Facts about Friendship
1. The more friends you have, the less you have chances to suffer from insomnia or chronic fatigue.
2. If you have friends who are more successful than you are and they often tell you about their achievement, it might be very stressful for you.
3. Women are much stricter towards their friends than men.
4. In East Asia friends often holds hands and it’s not a manifestation of homosexuality.
5. At the Olympic Games in 1936 two Japanese Sueo Syuhey Oe and Syuhei Nishida showed similar results. They didn’t agree with the jury, sawed silver and golden medals in two parts making two silver-gold medals. That is real friendship.
6. The older woman becomes, the more she believes in friendship between a man and a woman. As for the men, their attitude to this question is opposite.
7. International Friendship Day is celebrated on July 30. First time it was celebrated in 2011.
8. Many sociological studies show that Sydney, Australia, is the city with the friendliest people in the world.
9. The main reason for the end of female friendship is a man.
Friendship is an Important Part of Our Lives Because
- Friends are always there for us, to laugh with us in the happy times and to provide us with a shoulder, when we feel like crying. They serve as one of the biggest supports in our life.
- Friends are amongst those few people who accept us, rather like us, as we are. They never come into our life, expecting us to change for them. However, they do correct us when we are at fault.
- It is said that whether you need to hear the bitter truth about yourself, go to your best friend. He/she will never lie to you, just to please you and win your favors. What he/she says is the truth about you.
- You can always count on your friends, whether you need any advice or any help. They will shy away from none. The best part is that a friend’s advice will always be for your betterment, whether it hurts you or pleases you.
- After family, friends are the one who care for you. They bring a smile on your face when you are sad and they go out of the way to make things alright for you.
- Friends are the ones with whom we can share our darkest secrets, without being worried of them being leaked. They acknowledge our worst ideas and try to fulfill our silliest of wishes.
- Friends feel happy at your success and sad at your failure. They share all your feelings and make you feel that there is somebody who still cares for you. When you have friends, you never ever feel lonely.
- Friends love you and care for you. They always make you feel special and never expect anything in return, other than your love and friendship. They stay true to you throughout their lives
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival." C. S. Lewis
"The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares." Henri Nouwen
"Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods." Aristotle
This article talks about the modern connection to life of friendship by giving information about having benefits of a good friendship.