5th Grade Newsletter
May 10, 2018
5th Grade Awards Assembly
Mark your calendars! May 30th will be our 5th grade awards assembly at 8:00 a.m. in the Cafe. It's an event you won't want to miss!
5th Grade Water Balloons-May 11th
Hats off to Destination Imagination
5th Grade Field Day-May 18th
Make sure your child.....
Wears his or her class shirt, athletic shorts or pants(following dress code), tennis shoes, and sunscreen.
Your child can also wear a hat. We will have lunch at LTHS, so your child will need to bring a SACK (no lunch boxes) lunch (unless he or she ordered a sack lunch from the Cafe-order form went home a few weeks ago).
9am Load buses to go to Lebanon Trail
9:30 Girls Prelims (100m, 200m, 400m, 4x100 Relay, 4x200 Relay)
Boys on football field for plumber’s helper, sponge relay, 3 legged race,
Hoop de doo, hoopla, and kangaroo hop
10-10:15 Boys Prelims
Girls on football field
10:45-11:00 Start lunch (Anyone in a final race should only snack)
11:30 Finals (girls and boys finals alternate for the 100m, 200m, 400m,
12:30 Tug of war
1-1:15 Load buses and return to Smith
May 11-5th grade water balloons at 1:45
May 14: STAAR Math Test grades 3,4, and retake 5
May 15: STAAR Reading Test grades 3, 4 and retake 5
May 16: STAAR Science Test grade 5
May 18: Field Day (Grade 5 Only)
May 25: No School
May 28: No School
May 30 - 5th Grade Award's Assembly 8:00 in the Cafe
May 31 - 5th grade party at Strikz
June 1-Last day of school (2:30-5th grade Farewell Walk)
May STAAR Testing
Fifth grade students are scheduled to take the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) tests in Science on May 16, 2018.
There are several things that you can do to help your child be successful on this test.
· Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep the night before the test.
· Prepare a healthy breakfast for your child on the morning of the test.
· Have your child arrive at school on time that morning to avoid feeling rushed.
· Send a snack with your student to have during the testing. (Non-messy snacks are best)
· Do not schedule any medical appointments for your child on test day.
· Please do not plan to eat lunch with your child on test day.
· Finally, send your child to school with a hug and words of encouragement.
Please note, cell phones are not allowed in the classroom during testing. Thank you for your support in preparing your student for the STAAR test. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Science - Concept Review
Reading - Synthesizing Fiction
Writing - Editing and Revising Research Paper
Social Studies - Atlas Skills
Grammar - Grammar Review