PreK-5th Grade Classroom Guidance
Can You Save Fred?
- 1 gummy worm (Fred)
- 1 gummy life saver candy (life preserver)
- 1 small, clear plastic cup (boat)
- 4 paper clips (rescue materials)
- Optional: small tray (lake)
Place the gummy life saver in the middle of the tray or work space. Turn the small, plastic cup (Fred's boat) upside down and place it over the gummy life saver. Finally, place the gummy worm on top of the plastic cup and the 4 paper clips to the side.
Fred is a friendly worm who took his boat on the lake one day. However, Fred wasn't very smart because he forgot to wear his life preserver! Unfortunately for Fred, a strong wind caused his boat to capsize. Now his boat is upside down, Fred is stranded on top, and his life preserver is underneath!
Students will work in groups of 2-3 people to (1) turn Fred's boat right side up, (2) get Fred back into his boat, and (3) put on Fred's life preserver.
1. Students may only touch the paperclips. They may not touch Fred, the boat, or the life preserver directly with their hands.
2. Students must not let Fred fall into the lake or her will drown.
3. Students may not injure Fred (e.g.., spearing him with the end of a paperclip).