October 27, 2017
A Message from Dr. Kaminski
I am thrilled to announce that our new school partnership with Guang Ji Central Elementary in Ningbo, China is officially underway. Over fall break I traveled to Ningbo China with five other HSE principals to formally sign a memorandum of understanding with Principal Haung. Principal Haung is a powerhouse S.T.E.M. principal in his city with over 1.6 billion students. He actually supervises two schools with over 2,000 students each, grades 1-6.
During my visit I represented HSE and BSE by engaging in wonderful conversation with Mr. Haung and his staff. The common practices and challenges we shared were surprising. I'll also note there are vast differences in practices, but can see a grand shift in teaching philosophy occurring. I traveled to China ten years ago and my school partner/visit was much different. Things are evolving and it is clear the Chinese Education Officials desire to learn more about our instructional practices.
Next Monday I'll meet with all BSE Bears to share photos, the beautiful gifts that Mr. Haung presented, and fun facts about my visit. I'll also be presenting China on the BSE broadcast for the remainder of the year. Additionally, I'll be sharing my experience at the November 14th PTO meeting. I hope you can join us.
We will soon kick-off student to student communication and look for a visit from students and teachers in August. Much to plan!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Parent Awareness Night: The Opioid Epidemic in Indiana
Monday, Oct. 30th, 7-9pm
13000 Promise Road
Please join us for a conversation with Ben Gonzales, a young man in recovery and a treatment professional and recovery advocate. Ben will lead us in a discussion on recovery & substance abuse disorders. A panel discussion with addiction experts will follow.
Click here for additional information.
BSE now has a bike rack! Thanks PTO!
Box Tops Results
1st place Anders with 707
2nd place Koors with 419
3rd place Murch 315
Keep collecting as we will have another collection date in the spring!
Vision Screening for 1st & 3rd Graders
Third Grade vision screenings will be completed on Monday, October 30th. Two nurses will be at BSE all day to check near & far vision. If your student wears glasses please help them remember to bring them to school that day. A referral will be sent home only if your student DOES NOT pass the screening. These will be sent home within the next week.
First Grade vision screenings will be completed on Wednesday, November 8th. Allisonville Eye Care Center has generously donated their time to complete a more comprehensive vision test. If your student wears glasses please help them remember to bring them to school that day. A paper copy of their results will be sent home with your student on Wednesday or Thursday.
Dates to Remember:
October 27 (Tonight!):
We hope to see you at the BSE Movie Night sponsored by HSE DI! We will be showing Hotel Transylvania from 6pm-8:15pm.
Our BSE Night with the Indian Pacers is this Sunday, October 29th vs. San Antonio Spurs at 4:30 PM.
The scholastic book fair will be held at BSE all week!
The next PTO General Meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 14 from 6:30pm-7:30pm in the BSE Cafeteria. Babysitting will be provided! Dr. Kaminski will update us on his recent trip to China and provide insight into our new partnership with our sister school in Ningbo, China. See you there!
* Don't forget!! BoomBozz Dine & Donate is every Tuesday in October and November but you do need the flyer. Please click here.
Scholastic Book Fair presents The Wild West Book Fair!
The annual Scholastic Book Fair will be at Brooks School Elementary the week of November 13th. Mark your calendars for this special family event. It is a wonderful chance to add to home libraries and to support your child in his/her interest and growth in reading.
The dates and times are as follows*:
- Tuesday, November 14th 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Wednesday, November 15th 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Visit the Brooks School Bear from 5:00 - 7:00 PM and enjoy read alouds from BSE teachers.
- Thursday, November 16th 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Visit Clifford the Big Red Dog from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM and enjoy read alouds from BSE teachers.
- Friday, November 17th 10:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Also, please consider volunteering an hour of your time in helping at the Book Fair. Please visit this link to sign up. Your time is much appreciated.
* Please note that, while students will visit the Book Fair with their class during the day, parents are invited to attend after 4:00 PM.
Cafeteria Help & Lunch Visitors
LUNCH VISITORS (K-4):
- Guests must have a current SafeVisitor background check on file.
- Reservations are accepted SAME DAY only.
- Call the office at (317) 915-4250 by 9:30 AM.
- Due to space limitations, we can only allow three visitors per grade level (younger siblings are included in these numbers) with a total of 10 visitors per day.
- Guests may opt to purchase our hot lunch of the day or to just sit and visit. Out of respect for our students with food allergies, and BSE's commitment to doing our best to be a peanut/nut-free school, our policy has been revised and no outside food is allowed.
- Please note, Fridays are movie days in the cafe.
Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act
is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by
Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.