Mrs. Dearmon's Rockin' Fourth Grade
December 14th - 18th
- Spirit Day is Friday. Christmas sweater/shirt day! Remember that the students have P.E. that day, so please send tennis shoes and a possible clothing change.
- Please vote for Spring Run's jingle. Our school can get $5,000!!! http://www.michaelandson.com/2015-jingle-submissions/
- Our classroom holiday party will be on Friday, December 18th. Be on the lookout for a sign-up genius in the next couple of days to volunteer for donations and help. Here is the
- Book Exchange for holiday party directions went home with students on Friday.
- Important!! Mrs. Keller has moved the Jamestown test to Wednesday. The morning review has now been moved to Wednesday at 7:45.
What is Going on This Week in Curriculum?
Mrs. Dearmon's Math Class
- Monday we will study the properties of addition including commutative, associative, and identity.
- Tuesday we work with equality with equations. The focus is making sure that both sides of the equation are balanced with the equal sign in the middle.
- Wednesday is review day. The students will be rotating around to review groups. There will be a practice test for homework tonight.
- Thursday is the test for addition/subtraction, properties of addition, and equalities.
- Friday we will stay in our homeroom for math today.
We will be having a math workshop style of learning for the next couple of weeks. The students are in small groups and will rotate around to the teacher, seat work, fact practice, and hands on games.
Mrs. Dawson's Math Class
Hello! This week in accelerated math we will be working on solving multi-step word problems as we pretend to be "Santa's Helpers" and solve fun, yet challenging, holiday word problems. We will also be doing an in class project starting Wednesday. Students will be planning out a holiday meal for four, but they only have a certain amount of money. They will have fun with this! It involves estimating skills as well as exact addition, subtraction, and multiplication. As a reminder, I have asked students to start bringing in grocery store flyers on Monday. We won't use them until Wednesday, but would like for them to be prepared. Students will also me meeting their new teacher, Ms. Olmeda, this week. She will be working with them all week long!
I'm just realizing that this will be the last math update you receive from me. I assure you that they will be in great hands with Ms. Olmeda! I have thoroughly enjoyed working with such a fantastic group of students. I wish each of you a very happy holiday and New Year!
- Independent reading each day.
- Small groups will be working on comprehension of non-fiction text by reading books on ecosystems. These books go along with our science unit on animals. We will also be finishing up on our review of author's purpose.
- There will be a newspaper and Spectrum sheet this week.
- Our drafts on a winter scene are being finalized early in the week
- The final copy will be typed in Google Docs using the Chrome books.
- The picture to go along with our reading will be completed on Friday morning.
- No science this week. We will pick up the week after the winter break by finishing up the unit on animals.
- Social studies will be held Monday through Thursday this week.
- They will be working on finishing the Jamestown unit.
- Jamestown test will be Wednesday, December 16th.
- There will be a morning review session next Wednesday at 7:45.
- There have been review games, quizzes, and Powerpoints added to our Edmodo page.
Spring Run Elementary Room 500
Fourth Grade Teacher