Secondary Math Updates
Updated Curriculum Documents
In most courses, probability and statistics units have been removed. Those are often stand alone units that do not affect other standards. Of course, this is not to say that this unit is not important. If teachers have time to cover probability and stats, they should do so.
The courses below have been updated. Courses not updated are left to teacher discretion.
- Math 6
- Math 7
- Math 8
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 1 - Part 1
- Integrated Math 2
- Algebra 2
Compacted Math 7-8 has not been updated, but teachers may omit the probability/stats section if time does not allow it to be covered.
We realize we will need to develop strategies to fill in the gaps next year. This will be the topic of ongoing discussions.
Updated curriculum documents can be viewed/downloaded in our Digital Resource Binder.
NEW: Content Priorities
Note, some standards may be labeled as non-priority standards because they have been moved to other subjects and are no longer part of the curriculum for a given course. For instance, some Algebra 2 standards are already covered in Precalculus.
Summary of Changes to Each Course
Download Curriculum Docs for Complete Details
Algebra 1 - Part 1
- This course was not affected as much as other courses since it only consists of the first "half" of Algebra 1 and does not contain a probability/stats unit.
- Some standards on interpreting graphs are left to teacher discretion (Priority 3).
- Teachers may decrease the number of ALEKS days or omit MVP projects as necessary.
- Note: Students will take the Algebra 1 EOC next year.
- On the state EOC, students are permitted to solve a system of equations by any means. They will have access to the Desmos calculator. Therefore, teachers can omit solving systems of equations algebraically and return to those standards if time permits. Focus on solving graphically.
- The Polynomials unit has been moved up to Grading Period 3.
- The Quadratics unit has been moved up earlier in Grading Period 4.
- The Exponential Functions unit has been moved from Grading Period 3 to the end of the year to be covered time permitting.
- Probability/Stats standards have been removed.
----- OTHER NEWS -----
Middle School Accelerated Math
- Math 4 AIR score of 4 or 5
- I-Ready test (beginning of current year) score of 514 or higher
- Student already taking Math 6 while in Grade 5 this year
- Student identified as gifted in Math or Superior Cog
Student letters will be sent to building principals for distribution. We are hopeful that we are able to test during the week of March 15. If not, alternative criteria may be established for selection into the program.
For program information, visit http://www.ccsoh.us/accmath
Department Chair Meeting
Middle School (3:30pm to 4:30pm)
High School (4:35pm to 5:30pm)
Semesters: High School
Enter grades, not percentages. Example: A, B+, C-
----- ODE NEWS -----
Algebra 2 Equivalence
Teachers/schools interested in joining the Quantitative Reasoning Pilot next year should contact Steve Hiner. Summer PD is usually required, as-is some PD during the school year. Where possible, stipends are provided.
ODE recently started accepting pilots for their new Data Science course. This course would count as an Algebra 2 credit. See below.