JHS Student/Family Weekly Update
Week of January 11th: News, Links & Updates
This video made my day, I hope it does the same for you!
CTE ANNOUNCEMENT (PDF)
Emergency Financial Assistance for Families:
The County of San Mateo still has $5 million in unspent funding for emergency financial assistance for individuals/families. This funding can help anyone living in San Mateo County pay rent, mortgage, utilities, transportation, car repair, medical expenses or other emergency needs. Please share the attached Emergency Financial Assistance/COVID Resources for Families flyers with your families. English, Spanish, and Chinese flyers are attached, and more information can be found on the County of San Mateo website.
San Mateo County Public Wifi Project:
A list of 25 sites going live (13 SMC Public Library and 12 Public Library WiFi) across the county that will provide free public WiFi to over 1,400 K-12 students.
The flyer highlights the latest SMC Public WiFi locations that can be visited to get online.
To find other SMC Public WiFi sites please visit the SMC Public WiFi webpage at: https://www.smcgov.org/smc-public-wifi-project.
Connecting to SMC Public WiFi is as simple as 1-2-3.
1. From your laptop, tablet, or phone, please go to your WiFi settings and select the network called SMC Public WiFi. No password is needed.
2. A screen will come up asking you to accept the terms and conditions of the county’s Acceptable Use Policy. Select Accept. You must accept these terms and conditions in order to connect to the Internet.
3. Click the Done button on the upper right-hand corner of the screen. You are now connected to the Internet.
Connecting to a library’s public network.
· Connecting to a library’s public WiFi will follow a similar process by accessing the network from the WiFi settings on your device. The network will be named after the library you are visiting.
o Similar terms and conditions may appear and will need to be accepted before connecting to the Internet.
*The County of San Mateo is not responsible for the Public Library’s network, terms and conditions, or performance.
Sora is really amazing and allows high school students access to Daly City Public Library/Peninsula Library System's entire eBook and audio collection just by using their school credentials (they don't need a library card)! Once they log in, your students will need to "add a library," (Daly City Public/Peninsula Library System) in order to have full access.
Your Sora Starter reading platform has launched! E-books on the web or on your device.
Students will log in to Sora the same way they access your district's resources: their Google credentials using their school username and password.
1) In a browser visit https://soraapp.com/library/juhsd.
2) On a device, download the Sora app through the Google Play or Apple App stores and use setup code juhsd.
3). Browse the Explore tab and borrow a book, audio. Your book will open so you can start reading right away.
From there, you can:
• Click or tap Open Book or Open Audiobook to read or listen to the book.
• Click or tap Options to renew or return the book, get to your notes and highlights, and more.
Daly City Public Library/Peninsula Library System Limits:
• 15 Checkouts
• 15 Holds
We are excited to continue to offer BIO 310-Nutrition, an online dual enrollment course in the Health Science pathway in partnership with Skyline Community College. If you are interested, please fill out this Google Interest Form and complete this this College Connection Student Form by Friday, January 8, 2020. In addition, students take part in the below mandatory workshops, hosted by our Strategic Partnerships and Workforce Development Team:
1. Application Workshop: Wednesday, January 6, 2020 from 3:30pm-4:30pm
2. Upload Workshop: Wednesday, January 13, 2020 from 3:30pm-4:30pm
3. Enrollment Workshop: Wednesday, January 20, 2020 from 3:30pm-4:30pm
Click here for the zoom link to the above workshops. This online class will officially start the week of January 25th, 2020.
For more information, please contact Linda Truong at firstname.lastname@example.org and see the attached flyer.
Please click the links below Wellness drop -in hours as well as Group Flyers with Zoom info:
Second Harvest and Pacific Islands Together are partnering with Jefferson High School to offer a drive-thru food bank twice monthly. All families are welcome:
2nd and 4th Saturday of the month from 11-1 Enter from Mission Street In your car. Don’t be surprised to find the line of cars extending up Mission Street to the top of the hill. Food is normally available for families arriving by 11 AM.
Volunteers will come to greet you and register your family. Up to three families can receive food in each car.
Get your flu shot at:
- Your doctor’s office
- Retail pharmacies and stores (call first to check vaccine availability)
Click here for locations: https://vaccinefinder.org/
- A free flu clinic in San Mateo County:
2020-21 Free flu vaccine clinic locations
2020-21 Lugares por vacuna contra la gripe
Home-bound patients who need flu shots should call 1-800-675-8437.
Through Student Leaders®, Bank of America recognizes high school students who lead and serve in their own communities and beyond. We connect Student Leaders to tools and resources to help make communities better.
As a Student Leader, you will:
- Work as a paid intern at a local nonprofit for eight weeks
- Attend the week-long Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. *
- Develop leadership and career skills
- Connect with like-minded students from your own community and across the country
*In-person events will be in line with local and national guidelines around gatherings and travel and may be subject to change.
High School Juniors and Seniors:
Apply from now - January 29, 2021.