Thursday, September 15, 2016
Week - At - A - Glance
- Renaming numbers (if you are curious, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWyvnYbDtw)
- Adding whole numbers (using place value to know when to regroup) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAvuom42NyY
- Reading - we are working on applying our story elements to texts by identifying the characters, setting, conflict, and theme by using plot. We are discussing specific text clues that help us understand the characters, conflict, and plot. The text clues will lead us into creating inferences (text + thinking = inference).
- Writing - we backed up a little and focused on getting ideas on paper and choosing a story we love. On Monday, we will finalize a story that we will take through the writing process.
- Grammar - we have been learning about dialogue and how characters use dialogue to speak in stories. (It is also used if you refer to written words.)
- Collaboration - participating together, by adding ideas, on the same goal and making sure your group understands.
9/20- Baskin Robbins Night
9/23- Fall Pictures 8:15
0/3 &10/4 Dental Screenings
10/4 Walk to School Day
10/5-- CiCi Pizza Night
10/6 Dads & Donuts 7:15-7:45 (Last name A-L)
10/7 Dads & Donuts 7:15-7:45 (Last name M-Z)
10/13- All Pro Dads 7:10 AM
10/14 Book Fair begins 10/14-10/19
10/14 Fall Dance 6:30-8:30 pm
10/17-Parent/Teach Conferences, 3:20-7:20 pm Distribution of grades cards during conferences
10/18-- Baskin Robbins Night
10/19-Parent/Teach Conferences, 3:20-7:20 pm 10/20 Early Release, 12:50 pm
10/31 Fall Parties, 2:05-2:40 pm
Table Talk Conversation:
What is the difference between collaboration and cooperation?
What seed story are you thinking about writing?? (Talk to your kids about the story!)
What was your favorite thing about this week?
Was there anything that was really difficult for you this week?
What do you notice?
Trying to figure how how quotation marks are used to correctly punctuate dialogue. What's the same in every book?
Adding Multi-Digit Numbers
When you learn how place value works, you can solve huge problems! Max created problems in the billions and solved by simply following the adding and regrouping rules. Way to go!!
Adding and Subtracting Multi-Digit Numbers
When you understand how to line up numbers by using the place value, the base 10 pattern helps you understand when to regroup!