Citrus Grove Elementary Newsletter
A Message from the Principal
As we return from the holidays, many of our students have brought new cellular phones and other electronic devices to school. As a reminder the Martin County School District has created policies that we would like to remind our students and parents of. Please understand that all electronic devices such as cellular phones, watch phones, iPads, etc. are to be powered down (not just placed on vibrate or silent mode) and stored out of sight while at school. This includes the times our students are taking part in our club or Extended Day activities.
An exception may be made when used under the direction of the teacher for instructional use only. Students may use school phones to contact parents/guardians during the school day, when necessary.
Thank you for reviewing this information with your child(ren).
Our students finished up the 2nd Progress Monitoring Window. This Reading and Math Diagnostic testing can provide information regarding how much growth students have made so far towards a growth target. The results of the mid-year Diagnostic will also adjust a student’s individual lesson path if he/she places higher than the lessons they are currently working on. Parent reports will be sent home at the completion of this testing. Students in Grade 5 also showed what they know on the Science Mid-year Assessment. This gave teachers a fresh look at how much the students have retained from instruction and what they may still need cover or readdress prior to this year’s Statewide Science Assessment .
Some important dates to consider for the Spring 2019
April 2: Florida Standards Assessment Grades – Writing Grades 4-5
April 2-3: Florida Standards Assessment – Reading - Grade 3 Only
May 2-3: Florida Standards Assessment – Reading – Grades 4-5
May 6-7: Florida Standards Assessment – Math – Grades 3-5
May 9-10: Statewide Science Assessment – Science - Grade 5 Only
All of these tests are paper based, a change from previous test administrations. This link can provide you more information about each of the tests:
If you have any questions about the testing administration do not hesitate to contact me.
Phone: 772-223-2513 x102
Have you ordered your child's yearbook yet? Don't worry, there is still time. Click here to order your child's 2018-2019 CGE yearbook. Don't delay because they will sell out.
Sunshine State Young Reader Award Program
We are thrilled to see how many students are reading this years Sunshine State Young Reader (SSYRA) books. Thank you for encouraging reading at home. We appreciate your support. Students have all school year to earn their SSYRA brag tags. Please be sure to sign your child's SSYRA Reading log after they read a SSYRA book. More information on the SSYRA program can be found on the Media Center page of the CGE website.
Scholastic Book Fair
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming! The book fair will be here the during the week of January 28th during Celebrate Literacy Week! We will be open 7:00 am - 2:30 pm each day (with the exception of Wed., 1/30 we will close at dismissal). Book fair flyers are being sent home with students with more information. If you are interested in volunteering during the book fair, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0a44a9a622a7fc1-book2
We are so excited to announce three different author visits that we will be having in the near future.
- For grades K-2, local author, Catherine Bailey will speaking to our students on February 7th about her books and being an author.
- For 3rd grade, local author, Carol Matthews Rey, will be speaking to our students on January 28th about her book Iris Wall, Cracker Cowgirl.
- For 4th & 5th Grades, Gordan Korman will be speaking to our students on January 31st. Gordan Korman has written over 80 children's and young adult fiction books.He has also sold more than 28 million books over a career spanning four decades and has appeared at number one on The New York Times Best Seller list.
From the School Nurse
Here are some tips and resources to ensure we are taking the proper steps to protect yourself and others from flu and help stop the spread of germs.
- Avoid close contact: Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Stay home when you are sick: If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. This will help prevent spreading your illness to others.
- Cover your mouth and nose: Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Clean your hands: Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth: Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits: Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
A Big Ninja Warrior Thank You!
Our 2018-19 C.G.E. Ninja Warrior was a HUGE success! Thank you again for such an amazing show of support and LOVE for Citrus Grove Elementary. I am very proud to be part of this CGE community and can’t thank you enough for your years of support and dedication to our ever growing school, educational needs and dreams! I am very proud and excited that we are the only school in our area that implements our own “in house” school wide fundraiser. Because of our local business and family sponsors 100% of all funds collected will remain here at Citrus Grove. Thank you for making Citrus Grove such a wonderful place to work, live, and play! CGE ROCKS!
Mr. Rendell & our loving C.G.E. staff
From the CGE Cafe
You can also view the breakfast and lunch menus each month online. Visit: http://martinschools.nutrislice.com/menu/citrus-grove/
More information about the CGE Cafe can be found on the Food Service page of the CGE website.
Mark Your Calendar
January 14th: Progress Reports Go Home
January 16th: SAC Meeting at 6:00 pm
January 21st: No School
January 28th - February 1: Scholastic Book Fair
February 6th: Early Release Day
February 15th: No School - Teacher PD Day
February 18th: No School
We hope you will join us at one of our upcoming PTA Meetings. We meet the first Monday of every month at 2:10 pm in the CGE Media Center. Below are our meeting dates for the rest of the school year:
If you have any questions regarding PTA, please contact Mrs. Danner, PTA President.