Week of June 1, 2021
Hello Westside Parents & Families! Thank you for sharing your children with us this year, and being a partner as we navigated uncharted waters amid the pandemic. There were times we rose above the surface and times we sank below, but through it all your support for our school and staff kept us moving forward. In 3 days we will close out this school year and cherish the memories made and lessons learned. The staff at Westside wishes everyone a HAPPY SUMMER and hope it brings good health and time well spent with those you love!
Reminder there is NO SCHOOL MONDAY, 5/31, in honor of Memorial Day. School will resume on Tuesday, 6/1.
Here are some important reminders for the last week of the school year:
- All students will be dismissed at 1:15p on these Early Release days.
- Please send in all Library Books or payment for missing books.
- See below for returning eLearning materials and technology
- Report Cards and other valuable information for summer/next school year will be issued on the last day of school, June 3rd.
Again, thank you for supporting Westside this year! I will be sending out newsletters every other week over the summer to keep families informed. Have a wonderful summer break!
~Mrs. Stephanie Woodbury, Principal
Sixth Grade Graduation Day Details
Wednesday, June 2nd, we will honor the graduation class of 2021! The ceremony will be recorded and sent out to all 6th grade families. In addition, families can come to the school starting at 11:00am to check-out their student and take commemorative photos in the front of our campus. Please let your 6th grade teacher know if you are planning on checking them out. You can also use this time to return any eLearning materials and technology.
- Please come through our SIDE car loop on the south side of campus to pick up your child. Have ID ready.
- After checking out your child, your family can pull around and park in our FRONT lot and walk to the photo booths to capture this exciting moment.
E-Learning Materials/Laptops Return Schedule
Wednesday, June 2nd- Sixth Grade ONLY
Thursday, June 3rd- Kindergarten-5th Grade
Friday, June 4th- Open to All Returns
Planner Design Winner
Second Place Winner: Alexis Szkolinik
Third Place Winner: Mason O'Malley
Honorable Mentions: Sienna Lies and La'Veya Tysdal
2020-2021 Commemorative Yearbooks Have Arrived!
- Send cash or check (made payable to Westside Elementary) for $26.25
- Drop envelope in front office or child care mailbox.
End-Of-Year Fun & STEM Challenges
Plus, third graders in Ms. Gerhardt's class worked as architects to design their own house. They had to calculate and compare the area and perimeter of different rooms, pieces of furniture and much more! In Mrs. Burchinal's 5th grade class, student were challenged to build the tallest tower with only straws, tape and string! Fourth grade students in Mrs. Hohn's class were learning about the rock cycle. They had to gather information from a video and become archaeologists to “dug” for gems. Additionally, they were reading “Invasion From Mars” and listened to the live broadcast while making their own “aliens”.
Westside Student Artists Participate in Local Show
Various student artists participated in the BPS Gallery Art Show. Click on the link and search "Westside" to pull up these amazing works. https://artfulevaluation.com/Entries/PublicShow/0961a087-944b-4fc9-b59b-03649684ce5a
Summer Access to Learning Technology
- i-Ready access will be available until July 15th. Students can work on Reading and Math independently. Recommended 30-45 minutes/week for each subject.
- Lexia Core 5 will be available until July 30th for all K-5 students. Lexia offers online ebooks and lessons on reading skills. Lexia Power Up will also be available for all 6th grade students. Recommended up to an hour/week.
- Sora access is available all summer. This is a large collection of online books that students can read or listen to for pleasure. Listening to audio books that are above your child's reading level is a great way to build vocabulary and exposure to complex text! Students can earn a special treat for all the books they've read on Sora throughout the summer. They will be receiving a tracking postcard from their teacher soon!
These resources are a great way to encourage learning and keep skills sharp over the summer!