Library Media Services
Siuslaw School District 97J: October 2020
Destiny is our school district library catalog where you can search for books and place holds digitally with ease. Elementary students - you'll auto log in via Clever. Middle/High students: UN: first.last & PW: vik+student ID
Staff PD Opportunities!
Please join our library staff for the following digital PD sessions; email email@example.com for access/links. Can't make it? No worries! We'll record/archive all sessions.
- 10/6, 3-3:45PM: Using Destiny Discover: Destiny Discover is our new digital library catalog. This is how we can still access books in the middle of a pandemic. We'll cover staff/students navigating the system, placing holds, curbside book pick up questions, and how staff and students can curate books and online resource collections as well.
- 10/20, 3-3:45PM: Accelerated Reader Workshop: Do you have questions about using Accelerated Reader or STAR testing (especially in the midst of distance learning)? Would you like to share best practices? Learn about the new interface? Join us as we demo tips and tricks.
- 10/27, 3-3:45PM: Flipgrid: Amplify Student Voice: Flipgrid is a totally rad tech tool! Staff can easily facilitate video discussions, assignments and provide verbal feedback with ease. Students love using this tool. Join us - we'll create accounts, a sample assignment and practice recordings.
Digital Citizenship Week: October 19th - 23rd
Digital Citizens are active and responsible collaborators and communicators. We want our Siuslaw students to be Digital LEADERS! We are working to align K-12 Digital Citizenship lessons, and we're rolling them out at the Middle School this month - stay tuned for more awesomeness.
Common Sense Media is our go-to source; check it out: https://www.commonsense.org/education/
Book a Virtual Field Trip!
I can also help you navigate a plethora of free Virtual Field Trip resources below - reach out! https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17H9_d6gI8IN9mbY-TQliFnE754WmdFatU-dTgjQXhjI/edit?usp=sharing
Oregon Battle of the Books - It's On!
- Middle School students: any student who passes an AR test on an OBOB title will be awarded a prize; contact Ms. Roach for more info.
- All staff AND students: Read a book (OBOB or other), record a 1-2 min Flipgrid booktalk using the link below, and you'll have a chance to win a Dutch Bros gift card weekly drawing.
Have Questions? Ask Us via our Virtual Library!
- Staff Virtual Morning Check In, M-F, 8:00-9:00: Join our library team for a virtual cup of coffee and get help with tech, accessing ebooks & audiobooks, research, databases, lesson design - you name it!
- Virtual Books & Art Club, M-F, 3:00-4:00: Staff and students - join us to share what you're reading and creating!
Siuslaw Public Library FREE Resources & Curbside Pickup!
- ebooks & audiobooks with your digital library card
- computers & printers by appointment
- FREE WIFI in the parking lots
- curbside book pickup
- weekly digital storytime
Join Our Library Advocacy Team!
Library Advocacy Teams consist of students, parents, teachers, librarians and community members! We work together to make our libraries magical! We assess needs, work to acquire resources, and brainstorm ideas for future lessons and programming. We're looking for more voices. Join us!
Fill out this form! https://forms.gle/Q8Z2cpfiCMNqfmmE8
Meet Our Siuslaw Library Staff!
Mrs. Julia Craig
Library Media AideSiuslaw Elementary School
NB Andreus Dunn
Library Media AideSiuslaw Middle School
Ms. Hope Sneddon
Library Media AideSiuslaw High School
541-997-3448, Ext. 7489
Ms. Jennifer McKenzie, Siuslaw School District Teacher Librarian
- reading advocacy
- information literacy & research
- digital citizenship & media literacy
- technology integration
- staff professional development