College Applications Update 1
What Seniors Are Up To...(and What's Coming, Junior Parents)
What We've Been Working On
Jen b is working with each senior group (there are two this year) two days per week, and Halo is working with each group two days per week as well.
In Halo’s section:
- All students created resumes—essentially this forces kids to put the info they need to gather for applications (work experience, awards, extra-curriculars) all in one place so that it’s ready no matter what application they end up using.
- Finalizing college application lists--defining which schools are best matches
- Exploring majors and career pathways
In Jen b's section:
- All students have prepared a Letter of Recommendation Request (anyone applying to private schools or applying for scholarships will need letters of rec and they need to be solicited soon)
- Have discussed personal statements at length and have done some personal reflection about what would be good topics for them personally to write about (see embedded video at bottom for some info seniors received on this).
All students are actively beginning their online applications in class this week, though applications can't be submitted until November. All seniors will complete two applications as a class assignment--regardless of their application status for this year. They also must complete two personal statements as class assignments--these assignment templates are already in their CCR II Assignment folder.
Students have A LOT of resources to help them through this process, and I'll be continuing to add more as files in their CCR View Folder. In the meantime, in case the below links aren't enough exploration, here's a quick-list of many useful sites I've posted for the kids.
Where Our Seniors Are Applying
- 65% plan on applying to to private or out-of-state colleges
- 67% plan on applying to a UC
- 41% plan on applying to a CSU
Calling All Parents!
1. Letter to the reader (you) with questions they would like you to address
2. A copy of the student's transcript
3. A copy of the student's resume (which includes activities, work, volunteering)
4. Two personal statements
You will give feedback and ask questions and make suggestions within the personal statement documents and they will be able to see and/or respond to your comments. Emphasis is on content and ideas rather than grammar and spelling.
Ready to volunteer? Use the sign-up form below (scroll down to complete). Those who sign-up will be contacted with further instructions in early October.
The Common Application
This application is used by most private colleges to which students are applying.
Students complete only one application even if applying to several UCs.
Students complete only one application for any/all of the 23 campuses.
The Common Application
Sign up by Oct. 9th for the Nov. 8th exam.
October 25th and December 13th are the last viable ACT exams for those applying for fall 2015.
It's helpful to do a little planning now, though the FAFSA application won't be available until Jan 1st. All families should complete this form, even if you don't think you will qualify for federal aid.