Dolphin Parent Connection
December 2018 Volume 4, Issue 4
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
· Tuesday, December 4th: Gifted Identification Info Meeting for 1st Grade Parents @ 9:00 AM
· Tuesday, December 4th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, December 5th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 6th: MindCraft Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 6th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 6th: Spirit Day at Chili's
· Saturday, December 8th: Winter Wonderland @ 9:00-1:00 PM (see flyer for specific times)
· Monday, December 10th: 5th Grade Winter Concert for K, 1st, & 2nd @ 10:00 AM
· Tuesday, December 11th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 11th: SCA Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 11th: 5th Grade Winter Concert @ 6:30 PM
· Wednesday, December 12th: 5th Grade Winter Concert for 3rd & 4th @ 10:00 AM
· Wednesday, December 12th: Anchored4Life Club Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, December 12th: STEM/Robotics Club Meeting @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, December 12th: Maker Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, December 12th: Middle School Information Night for Rising 6th Graders @ 6:30 PM at PAMS
· Thursday, December 13th: MindCraft Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 13th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 13th: Kindergarten brings Holiday cheer to Sullivan House
· Friday, December 14th: Progress Reports issued to identified students
· Friday, December 14th: SCA Spirit Day: Tacky Sweater Day
· Saturday, December 16th: Girls on the Run 5K
· Tuesday, December 18th: Gifted Identification Info Meeting for 5th Grade Parents @ 9:00 AM
· Tuesday, December 18th: Kindergarten Sing Along @ 9:30 AM & 1:45 PM
· Wednesday, December 19th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 20th: MindCraft Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Friday, December 21st: Early Dismissal at 12:10 PM
· Monday, December 24th--Tuesday, January 1st: Winter Break
· Wednesday, January 2nd: School Reopens
· Wednesday, January 2nd: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, January 3rd: ODS Parent Information Night for Current 5th Grade Students @ 5:30 PM at ODS
Dismissal Change Reminders
Or staff works hard to ensure each child makes it home safety every day, but we need your help. As a reminder, if there is to be any change in dismissal procedures for your child, whether it is an early pickup or going home a different way, please have your child give his/her teacher a parent note first thing in the morning (preferred way) indicating the change. You may also email the office before 2:10 PM with the dismissal change at the following address: email@example.com. Please do not simply email your child's teacher or use Class Dojo for communicating dismissal changes. Teachers are busy teaching and cannot guarantee that he/she will see the electronic communication. Also, if your child is involved in an after school activity and cannot attend on a particular day, a note is needed indicating that your child will not be staying for the activity. Otherwise, we must assume your child should be staying after school .
Winter Wonderland: Our annual holiday event will be December 8th from 9am-1 pm. It’s a fun time for all, and we've made a few changes this year. The event will include free kids' crafts, face painting, holiday photos, story time, a craft fair and silent auction.
The PTA will need lots of help to make this event a success. If you are able to give an hour or two of your time, please click the link below to sign-up. Many different types of positions are available ranging from 1 to 2 hours. We thank you in advance for your help.
Volunteer Sign-up Link:
The PTA is thankful for the generosity of the Red Mill Elementary family towards the grade level auction baskets, and we can't wait for everyone to see the baskets at the auction!
Reflections Winners 2018-19: Congratulations to the following students for their hard work and creativity! This year’s theme was “Heroes Around Me.” Here are the winners from RMES:
- 1st place - Ada Colton
- 2nd place - Bryce Thorne
- 1st Place - Kieffer Colton
- 2nd Place - Maya Phillips
Dolphin Academy: Planning for the Spring Dolphin Academy after-school enrichment program has already begun. We are in need of a co-chair! If you are willing to help with this, please contact Terry Stevens at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
New After School Club: The PTA is excited to offer an after school newspaper club for 2nd and 3rd graders! If your child is interested, fill out the attached application and send it in by December 14th. You can also find it on the PTA Facebook page or contact Sarah Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meanwhile, we are working on adding more clubs. If you have a suggestion or can help, please email email@example.com
Box Tops: As you bake this holiday season, please remember to clip the Box Tops labels! These labels would just be thrown away or recycled, so why not clip them and help your school at the same time? And this Spring, we will make it a class competition! So be sure to put them in an envelope or baggie with your child’s grade and teacher’s name. There are mailboxes in the school foyer.
PTA Meetings: Our next PTA board meeting will be Tuesday, December 4 at 1 pm. Any parent is welcome to attend. The PTA will give an update December 11th at the start of the Winter Concert. We’ll also have another board meeting on Thursday, January 10th at 6:00 pm followed by a General PTA meeting at 6:30. It will be a casual, town hall-style meeting for parents. Meanwhile, you can always message us through Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Red-Mill-PTA-340289762792972/ or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Upcoming Events: We are planning family fun nights for January and February! Stay tuned for details! (and if you’d like to co-chair one of these events, we could use help).
Recent past events:
Turkey Bingo was a fun time! Thank you to Ashley and John Brountas for organizing and to Mr. Schmidt for emceeing.
Veteran’s Day: Red Mill had 18 veterans come in to talk with your children. The children and volunteers seemed to really enjoy this opportunity. Thank you to all who participated and also Anna Walker for organizing. The PTA hopes to do it again next year, so please keep this in mind if you are military!
Student Electronic Resources
Hour of Code at Red Mill ES
Go Noodle: At Home Fitness Resource
School Counseling Program Notes
We are continuing to learn about problem solving during the month of December. Students are learning a variety of coping strategies, and are continuing to practice utilizing conflict resolution strategies.
Fifth grade students are continuing to focus on the future – this month we will learn about middle school course options and high school academies. Fifth grade parents – save the date for middle school information night! Princess Anne Middle School will host a rising 6th grade information night on Wednesday December 12th @ 6:30 pm (at PAMS).
Lunch Bunches are forming now for students impacted by deployment and/or family changes – please reach out if you would like your student to participate!
Please feel free to contact me by phone (648-3572) or e-mail (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns.
Please see below for important dates and application deadlines. If you have any questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Red Mill's Gifted Resource Teacher at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gifted Application & Identification Process Parent Information Sessions at Red Mill
- 1st grade Parent Information Session: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:00 a.m. (science lab)
- 5th grade Parent Information Session Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:00 a.m. (science lab)
ODS Parent Information Nights:
- Current 5th grade students--January 3, 2019 5:30 p.m.
- Current Grades 1-4--January 8, 2019 5:30 p.m.
Gifted Application & Deadlines (all applications due by 4:00 p.m. on deadline date)
- Dance Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- Visual Arts Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- ODS (current grades 2-7) application deadline February 1, 2019
- All 1st grade referrals (current grade 1) application deadline March 1, 2019
Worth A Second Look
The Pearl Home program is run by Lynnhaven River NOW to reward families and individuals that live in Virginia Beach that are doing things to help us clean up the waterways.
You can go to our website http://www.lynnhavenrivernow.org/pearl-homes/ and fill in either the Single Family Home or Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application online. Please complete #2 listing your school as Red Mill Elementary so that you will receive your flag or magnet and Red Mill will earn credit for your application. For the Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application, you have the choice of a flag or magnet. Make sure you indicate which you would like. Both applications list things that you can do that will make a difference; just check off those things that you are doing or have done in the past year. If you are able to check off at least 15 items (for home owners) or 10 items (for multi-family dwellings), you will receive your choice of a beautiful garden flag and stand or a magnet that you can place on your door. You will be contacted in November after the flags and magnets have been delivered to the school. Thank you for making our water cleaner and healthier for future generations.
Red Mill Cafe Gift Certificates
Looking for a way to thank a Red Mill teacher or staff member or honor them on a special occasion? Consider giving a Red Mill cafe gift certificate. If interested, please contact Red Mill's cafeteria manager, Diane Swan at email@example.com
Upcoming Art Contests
VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION FOR PUPIL TRANSPORTATION
POSTER CONTEST THEME: Red Lights Mean STOP! Due April 30, 2019
(see attached flyer for complete details)
THE ART OF BEING A MILITARY CHILD CITYWIDE ART CONTEST AND CELEBRATION
Due Friday, Dec. 14.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RELATED TO BEING A MILITARY CHILD
Topics include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cultures You’ve Experienced
- Military Lifestyle
- Your Wishes, Hopes and Dreams
- The Life Lessons You’ve Learned
See attached flyer for complete details.
If you have any questions, please contact Morgan Knight, art teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make Payments
- Set up Auto Pay
- Set Purchase Restrictions
- Get Low Balance Alerts
- Submit Applications
- View Purchases
- View Menus