SEPTEMBER 22, 2023
MESSAGE FROM DR. SARA DELGADO
What an exciting week at Parcells! You should have received information about our PBIS Fun Run Fundraiser this week. We are looking forward to a fun, exciting day on October 13th. There is more information below, but if you'd like to make a donation, you can do so at our website.
Additionally, today we had a wonderful flag raising ceremony honoring our country to close out Constitution Week. I was extremely proud of the respect our students showed to our presenters and our fifth graders as they recited the preamble to the Constitution, watched the flag being raised, and said the "Pledge of Allegiance" together. There are a few pictures below.
Please remember that if your child would like to attend GP North's homecoming game tonight, they must be accompanied by a parent.
Dr. Sara Delgado
IMPORTANT OFFICE REMINDERS - PLEASE READ
- Please call the ATTENDANCE LINE 313-432-4601 if your child will be absent or signed out early. This is very important for the safety of your children. We need to know if they are not going to be at school and the reason.
- NEW WHITE BOARD by the H door next to room 117 and upstairs outside of room 219. This board will be used to put students names on when they are being signed out early and if they have something in the office to pick up. Have your child find this board so they know where to look. Please call the office if you have any questions.
- Please talk to your child the night before or in the morning before school about any after school plans. It is disruptive to get messages to the students during class time. WE UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETIMES THERE ARE LAST MINUTE CHANGES AND THAT IS OK TO CALL FOR!!!
- Students should not be calling home because they forgot something unless the teacher asks them to. This is also disruptive to class time. Please instill in your child the importance of planning ahead.
- After the school bell rings in the morning the only entrance that should be used is the one along Sunningdale at the end of the GP Woods Library Parking Lot. The door is called the H door and it is PARCELLS SECURE ENTRANCE. This is also the door that students should come in if they are late or parents should come in if needing to enter the building during the school day.
PICTURE RETAKE DAY
Please login to the below link and use the Picture Day ID I have listed.
Picture Day ID - EVT2HG2RS
"Please join the PTO this Monday, September 25th at 6:30pm for our monthly meeting in the library.
Next Tuesday, 9/26 from 4-8pm is a Jets Pizza Night! Please mention "Parcells" and a portion of all proceeds benefit our school.
Kroger Community Rewards is a great way to support our school by enrolling in the program easily through their app and searching Parcells.
Did you know our PTO has 2 Facebook web pages to follow? Please search Parcells Middle School Parent Discussion Page and Parcells Middle School PTO to stay informed with all our school events and happenings!"
PBIS AND NO PLACE FOR HATE TEAM UP FOR ONE SPECTACULAR DAY!
We are proud to officially kick-off our PBIS/No Place for Hate fundraiser for the 23/24 school year! This year we are hosting an Outrun Hate Fun Run Event on Friday, October 13th along with a PantherPalooza school wide community building celebration!
All Parcells Panthers will “Out Run Hate” as they participate in a Fun Run around a designated area of the field. Students will gather pledges from family and friends for participating. We are asking each student to raise a minimum of $50 using the My Fun Run Platform.
Money raised will support the Parcells PBIS program, along with our building wide No Place for Hate initiatives. Parcells PBIS has been a long-standing program of pride for not only Parcells, but the entire GPPSS. PBIS (positive behavior intervention and support) is designed to reach all Parcells Panthers, and to contribute to a sense of community and pride in our school.
In the past, PBIS fundraising has supported Past Fundraising Efforts have helped support:
No place for hate shirts and accessories
All school literacy initiatives
School beautification including:
Lobby makeover including the popular high top tables
Secure vestibule makeover
Counseling chill Room
Peer 2 Peer field trips
Staff appreciation treats
Picnic tables for the field
Parcells is the only nationally designated No Place For Hate school in the district and we are proud to continue our efforts in building a culture of kindness and inclusivity for all. This year, our goal is to continue our beautification initiatives and improve the lobby vestibule which make Parcells a welcoming and inclusive place for all. We also hope to purchase curriculum materials to support our advisory program, reward our students with treats and prizes, and promote literacy through an all school read along for March is Reading Month.
Over the next few weeks leading up to the Outrun Hate Fun Run, we’ll have many chances for the students to win prizes in coordination with the theme for that week. We’ll be sharing more details at the beginning of each week.
Please be sure to “like” the Parcells MS Principal’s Facebook page, watch your emails, and ask your child to check their Schoology Email to get the latest Fun Run information!
How to make a donation to our Outrun Hate and PBIS PantherPalooza Fundraiser!
Go to Parcells.myfunrun.com
Click on Donate to Participant
Search for your student by:
Individual (Enter first name and last initial)
Make a donation!
Share it out for friends and family to donate!!
*Community members wanting to make additional donations may do so by selecting "Class" or "Grade" and donating to an Advisory class or an entire grade level.
Thank you so much for supporting our school!
Counselors are beginning to organize and plan for Parcells Career Day 2023-24. At this point in time, we are reaching out to interested parents/community members/friends who would be willing to share their craft and their passion with our students. This will be a morning commitment, typically (but currently a work in progress) a 25 minute presentation delivered 3-4 times to a smaller group of students.
Our Career Day format and date will depend on the breadth of our volunteer career presenters.
We would love for our school community to share their talents. If you are interested, please complete the QR code and we will follow up with more information as we begin to plan.
Thank you in advance,
Dr. Macey & Mrs. Palffy
Parcells School Counselors
THANK YOU GUSMANO FAMILY
SNACK PANTRY IS OPEN
PARCELLS DRESS CODE
● Students should come to school prepared to go outside each day, even in the winter
● Clothing should not contain pictures, graphics, or language which are inappropriate for the school
environment per the student code of conduct
● Students are expected to wear clothing that does not use or depict hate speech targeting groups
based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation or any
other marginalized group per district policy 5517 - ANTI-HARASSMENT
● Students are expected to remove caps, hats and hoods in the building
● A student may wear a head-dress for religious, health-related or cultural reasons, however, it is
expected that the head-dress be generally appropriate for academic and professional
environments. Students are expected to wear clothing that adequately covers the chest, back and
● Students are expected to wear clothing that is non-transparent
● All tops must have sleeves or straps. Straps must fit sufficiently so they do not fall off shoulders
● Clothing must cover undergarments (bra straps excluded)
● Shorts worn to school must cover undergarments, have an inseam and adequately cover a
portion of the thigh at all times
● Skirts and dresses worn to school must cover undergarments and adequately cover a portion of
the thigh at all times
● Students are expected to wear shoes that enable them to safely participate in all school activities
(Flip flops and other shoes without a strap on the heel are only allowed at the middle and high
● Specialized courses/activities (physical education, science labs, industrial technology etc.) may
require specialized attire, such as athletic wear or safety gear
MICHIGAN PROVIDING FREE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH FOR STUDENTS IN 2023-24
Parcells Breakfast Times: Monday- 8:35 AM, Tuesday - Friday 7:50 AM, ENTER THE BUILDING THROUGH THE DOORS ON MACK.
Michigan providing free breakfast and lunch for students in 2023-24
All students in Michigan public schools will be able to receive one breakfast and one lunch daily at no cost for the 2023-24 School Year.
Important things to know:
- Students must have three out of the five food groups for the meal to be free.
- There will still be a charge for milk only and ala carte purchases.
- Student accounts WILL NOT be allowed to go negative.
- Families who would qualify for free or reduced meals should still fill out an application online. You can log in to the K-12 preregistration forms to do so.
Menus from Taher, our new food service provider, are now live at this Food Service link on the website. or you can click the Meals and Nutrition button under district news. Please note:
- The site defaults to North High School. Use the "Schools" dropdown menu to select your school.
- Then click "Menu." Use the arrow to move to the month you want to view. Please note that menus are currently available for the month of September only.
- Nutritional information is available in the right hand column if viewing on your computer, or below the menu item if viewing on your phone.
- If your student has specific dietary needs or you have a question, please use the "Contact Us" form on their website
OFF & OUT OF SIGHT TECHNOLOGY
Off & Out of Sight Reminder
All secondary students are to have access to a technology learning device. The GPPSS BYOD Handbook supports the district's strategic plan for student learning and growth. Students use their technology learning device to access Schoology -- the GPPSS's Learning Management System.
Additionally, cell phones are OFF AND OUT OF SIGHT all day for middle school, and during class time for high school students. If students need to be reached during the school day, please continue to contact the main office.
Middle school students may use their phones before the first school bell and after the final school bell. High school students may use their phone during passing time and at lunch, as well as before and after school.