Faith Webb Hr. 3
FOODS IN THE GRAINS GROUP
TWO SUB GROUPS
WHAT IS AN OUNCE?
Dietary Fibers- Can help reduce blood cholesterol levels and lower the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
Iron- which is used to carry oxygen to the blood.
Consuming foods containing fiber, such as whole grains, as part of a healthy diet, may reduce constipation.
Eating whole grains may help with weight management.
Eating grain products fortified with folate before and during pregnancy helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development.
2. Many whole grain products not yet using the Stamp will list the grams of whole grain somewhere on the package, or say something like "100% whole wheat."
3. With the Whole Grain Stamp, finding three servings of whole grains is easy: Pick three foods with the 100% Stamp or six foods with ANY Whole Grain Stamp.
4. If you see the words "whole grain" without more details, such as "crackers made with whole grain" the product may contain only miniscule amounts of whole grains.
5. If the first ingredient listed contains the word "whole" (such as "whole wheat flour" or "whole oats"), it is likely – but not guaranteed – that the product is predominantly whole grain.
FOOD LABEL TIPS
2. Look for a 'Whole Grain" or "100% Grain" sticker.