November 14, 2016
Happy American Education Week!!!
I hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready for a great week of school.
Happy American Education Week to you! PTO has several treats planned for you throughout the week KOE will be providing pizza on Thursday and PTO will serve breakfast on Friday. Enjoy your week!
Thank you for all that you do for the students at FHN. We are so lucky to have such an amazing staff!
- This weekend the boys soccer team placed third in state, tying with the Bruins of Rock Bridge. On Friday, they lost a hard-fought game against the eventual state champion CBC. The Cadets had a narrow victory of 1-0. Our Knights played very hard and had a phenomenal season. This was the first trip to the Final Four since 2004. Congratulations to the soccer team, Coach Scheller, Coach Fettig, Coach Olwig and Coach Roy!
- Congratulations to Spectra and Jon Travis for raising over $500 for this Able Veteran. Good work!!!
- Congratulations to the FHN Publications for racking up the awards in Indianapolis at the NHSJ Convention. North Star won a Pacemaker,the highest honor available for a high school publication, and Excalibur won 5th in show. There were also numerous individual awards as well, which I will feature next week,as not to leave anyone out.
- Congratulations to PE Department on Great presentations concerning the perils of drug use.
- Congratulations to DECA on an awesome DECA week and DECA Jumpoff. A lot of money was raised for a worthy cause and the faculty still remains unbeaten!
5 QUICK FACTS
1. This is my 5th year as an ESOL teacher at FHN. Prior to working at FHN, I was an ESOL para in a different district for 8 years while working on my ESOL certification and Masters degree.
2. I graduated from Rockwood Summit High School in Fenton. I attended Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa and graduated with my Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education. While in college, I had a teaching experience at an elementary school in Harlem, New York. I received my Masters of Education from Mizzou. I have teaching certifications in ESOL (k-12), elementary education (k-6), early childhood (birth – grade 3), and middle school math (5-9).
3. I love to travel!! I have traveled to 30 states including Hawaii and Alaska. The only international travel I have accomplished has been to the Caribbean, a couple of times to different parts. This past summer, I took a 3 week road trip to Arizona following Route 66 to see the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Parks in Arizona as well as the Red Rock Canyon near Sedona, Arizona and ended up in the Phoenix area for 7 days. I would love to visit the remaining 20 states and to visit some other countries.
4. I am a HUGE Cardinals fan! I have traveled to Florida for spring training at least 5 times. I enjoy going to several Cardinals games each season in St. Louis as well as traveling a couple times a year to the minor league double A games in Springfield, MO.
5. I have been a member of my church’s bell choir since 9th grade (including coming home from college and playing in the Christmas and Easter services), and after college I played my violin for the Saturday night services for 4 years.
I nominate Amy Fields to go next.
Grades need to be submitted by Wednesday, November 16th at 4pm. If you want to check and make sure you are submitted and ready please e-mail Sandy Kuhl.
Please remember to communicate home to those students with a D or an F in your class.
Knights @ 90- FHN currently has 89.3% of students above 90% attendance.
On Wednesday morning, please stop by the LC for coffee and doughnuts. We will open at 6:45 and you are welcome to grab and go on the way to your room or 7 a.m. meeting. Or hang out for a while and spend some time chatting with colleagues.
The next Better than Carrots or Sticks book study discussion will be on 11/16 in room 5/8 at 2:30. We will be discussing chapters 3 and 4.
Check out this article on 5 ways to improve your classroom culture.
The technology committee will be meeting on 11/9 after school in the main office conference room. We will be discussing topics for the next Lunch and Learn. Please remember to turn off your projectors if they are not going to be used for at least 20 minutes. This will preserve the bulb and the overall life of the projector.
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
3. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
4. being open-minded to new ideas.
5. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
6. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
7. counting tardies consistently.
- "Shout Out to Jenelle Louis, Kim Martin, Chris Brown, and Lisa Woodrum for their efforts in organizing another successful Anti-Drug Presentation."--Jeff Blankenship
- "Thank you to Brooke Magilligan and her family for presenting."--Jeff Blankenship