Lockport City School District
Micro-cluster Preparation Information
A Message from Superintendent Bradley
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
At this time Lockport City School District (LCSD) is not in a yellow, orange, or red zone.
The purpose of this message is to inform you of the plan if LCSD is designated a yellow, orange, or red zone.
As you know, Governor Cuomo has implemented a micro-cluster strategy involving geographic areas being designated to yellow, orange, or red zones based on the COVID-19 infection rate. As a result, the Lockport City School District is proactively preparing for the possible time when any one of our schools is designated into one of the zones. If this designation happens, a shift to full remote instruction could occur and/or the District would be required to test a certain percentage of its staff and students to keep hybrid in-person instruction in place.
Shift to Full Remote Instruction
If the district shifts to a full remote instructional model for all staff and students, the hybrid blue/gold cohort in-person model will not continue. Students will not attend school in the physical building. Daily remote instruction will occur Monday through Friday and will follow the teacher’s weekly schedule that was established in September. Instructional hours per building are listed below. All students will participate in remote instruction daily. Instruction will be conducted throughout the regular school day hours and delivered via Google Meets in the core subject areas. Independent student work will be provided through Google Classroom. Students will have and be expected to follow the daily schedule with teacher sign-in codes for each Google Meet. In addition to core instruction in ELA, Math, Social Studies, and Science, students will also sign-in for Art, Music, Physical Education and other related services.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday instructional hours will be:
- Elementary Schools (AM, CU, GS, RBK): 9:10 am - 3:35 pm
- Emmet Belknap Intermediate School: 8:30 am - 2:55 pm
- North Park Junior High School: 8:12 am - 2:42 pm
- Lockport High School: 7:40 am - 2:15 pm
- Lockport High School West: 8:00 am - 2:28 pm
Please note that the instructional hours will not be 9 am to 2 pm as originally indicated in the July School Reopening Plan. As discussed in July 2020, the School Reopening Plan would remain a fluid document, with revisions made as necessary throughout the 2020-2021 school year. Since teachers and students have established daily schedules during the past several months of the school year, it seems to make sense that a full remote learning model follows the current schedules as indicated above for consistency.
Wednesday instructional hours will be:
- Grades K-4 (AM, CU, GS, RBK): 9:30 am - 11:30 am
- Grades 5-6 (EB): 8:40 am - 10:40 am
- Grades 7-12 (NP, LHS, LHSW): 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
All students have access to a 1:1 device and internet if needed.
Meals will be available to students on a weekly basis every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between the hours of 11:00 am and 3:00 pm at North Park Junior High School (Door 4), Charles Upson Elementary School (Door 6B), and Roy B. Kelley Elementary School (Door 2A). Please see the district website for additional delivery locations. For the meal plan details, please read the Full Remote Meal Distribution Plan letter.
General student expectations for full remote instruction are as follows:
- Log in and participate in Google Meets and Google Classroom activities daily as scheduled.
- Continue to comply with all district policies and the district Code of Conduct.
- Technology Support: Continue to report questions or concerns with technology or internet access to a school staff member.
Overview of Required Micro-cluster Staff and Students Testing Plan for In-Person Instruction
COVID-19 testing is not mandatory for in-person staff and students. However, if the District does not receive the required percentage of staff and student consent for testing, the District may be forced to shift to a full remote instructional model. In order for the district to maintain an in-person instructional model, the District testing plan is as follows:
- Under the direction of LCSD School Physician Dr. William Baier and with the assistance of LSCD nurses, the District would conduct COVID-19 testing as required in the Governor's micro-cluster plan.
- Only staff and parents of students involved in the in-person instructional model would complete a COVID-19 informed testing consent form. Fully remote staff & students will not be tested.
- Those who provide consent for testing would be randomly selected to meet the required percentage of testing as outlined in New York State’s micro-cluster plan.
- Further details related to a testing plan will be provided upon designation of yellow, orange, or red zone in the Lockport City School District.
Please remember to practice social distancing, wear a face covering, wash your hands frequently, and monitor your health regularly. Thank you for your cooperation and support as we continue to manage the COVID-19 pandemic. Stay safe and be well.