GCS Magnet/Choice Admin Updates
Bi-Weekly Communication - August 16, 2021
Calendar of Events
- August 5 - First Day for EC/MC Schools
- August 9 - First Day for Extended Year Schools
- August 16 - First Day for Restart Schools
- August 23 - First Day for Traditional Schools
- August 27 - Deadline to complete Magnet/Choice Principal Survey
- January 14 @ 8:00 AM – February 21, 2022 @ 5:00 PM - Magnet/Choice Application Window
- January 23 -29, 2022 - National School Choice Week
- February 2, 2022 - Face-to-Face @ Greensboro Coliseum OR
- February 1-4, 2022 - Virtual Showcase week
Greetings from Magnet/Choice
We bring you greetings from the Magnet/Choice office as you kick off the 2021-2022 school year with significant momentum. We are looking forward to a productive year of working alongside you to ensure you have the support needed to continue expanding and strengthening our magnet/choice programming to confirm school transformation/innovation.
It is our goal to provide you with clear and consistent communication, streamlined procedures and protocols, and valuable resources that can be used to help you access professional development opportunities, evaluate your program’s effectiveness, and market your school/program in order to ensure equity and access for students as well as high quality programming.
We are excited about partnering with you in the spirit of robust, rigorous and relevant program growth in GCS.
GCS MAGNET/CHOICE GUIDING PILLARS
I. Diversity, Equity & Access
II. High-Quality Innovative Curriculum and Professional Development
III. Academic & Technical Excellence
IV. High Quality Instructional & Communication Systems with Continuous Evaluation and Improvement
V. Family, Community Engagement and Partnerships
Collaborative Partners Magnet/Choice Taskforce Participants
The purpose of the Magnet/Choice Taskforce is to have a representative group of Magnet/Choice administrators or school leaders who collaborate regularly to discuss, identify, and problem solve issues related to magnet/choice school needs and advancements. This collaborative body will work together to vet curricula and program specific evaluation tools, determine professional development needs/opportunities, brainstorm marketing strategies, etc. in the spirit of improving our districts’ magnet/choice portfolio. It is our goal to have a representative from each Magnet/Choice program/theme to ensure all voices are heard while seated at the table.
Use this link to indicate if you are or are not interested in serving on the 21-22 Magnet/Choice Taskforce
Shout to our Cross-Functional Team Member: Dr. Rashad Slade!
What Works Clearinghouse
The following themes outlined are nationally recognized concepts and are aligned to both national and state standards and many can also be found in What Works Clearinghouse. In some cases, although a nationally recognized program is listed, it does not constitute an endorsement by MSA but rather is a program that many MSA members have implemented successfully.
- The Arts-Visual, Drama, Theatre, Dance
- Digital Media
- International Baccalaureate
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STEAM)
- Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (STREAM)
- Bio-Medical Sciences (Project Lead the Way)