April 3, 2016
Say it isn't so! There are 4 inches of snow in my backyard since yesterday afternoon and tomorrow there will be more? Well, this is one last excuse for me to build a fire- one of my favorite winter activities. It is hard to believe that Spring Break is around the corner - hopefully this is the last of the snow for this school year!
There are several events that I would like to call your attention to that will take place in the upcoming weeks:
- 2015- 2016 ASMS Yearbooks orders are now available on line through Friday, April 15th. The cost of the yearbook has remained the same this year if you pre-order, that cost is $28.00. Please click on the link below to order on line. All credit cards are accepted. You may pay by check made payable to ASMS PCC for $28.00. Please send the check into the Office to Mrs. Collins.
- Wednesday, April 13th FEF Trivia Bee @5:30 at Mercer Auditorium at HMMS. Come see two ASMS 8th grade teams (Jake D, Chris D, and Jack R, Kelsey M, Gina S and Katie H.) will compete against HMMS and RMS teams. This is the second competition among the middle schools and Sully will be there to cheer his classmates on, please join him. At 7 PM the regular Trivia Bee will take place and ASMS will have a team of 3 represented by seventh grade geography teacher, Mr. Shebar alumni, Chuckie N and parent Mrs. Zapolski who will compete for the coveted trophy! This is a very strong team and I have high hopes for them!
- Thursday, April 14th Dine in or out at British Beer Company and present the flyer sent to you by your PCC and ASMS will get 20% of the proceeds. What a delicious and easy way to support the PCC who works so hard on behalf of our students to provide and support our activities including our Mission Card Program, in-house presentations, field trips, field days, etc.
- Friday, April 15th ASMS Best Buddies are joining the City of Boston in celebrating One Boston Day in honor of remembering the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing. Mayor Walsh has started this new tradition and hopes that, "One Boston Day will inspire all of us to come together as the community we are and share the spirit of Boston by giving back." Best Buddies Officers have begun planning and we will keep you posted. They have some great ideas that they will be unveiling in the next several days that will give the ASMS community an appropriate way to remember and honor the victims of the Boston Marathon tragedy three years ago! They are very excited to plan this commemoration and I look forward to their creative ideas.
- Wednesday, April 27th our Student Council is hosting our 4th Annual Are You Smarter Than a Teacher? after school in the ASMS Cafe. This is an outstanding student event filled with fun competitions among staff and students including a delicious bake sale! Encourage your child to attend as they will talk about it for days to follow. Please note that there is no late bus that day as it is a Wednesday and students will need to make arrangements for rides home.
When I chronicle the above events I am just so impressed with the many opportunities to contribute to the ASMS community in so many positive ways. I am so grateful for how much everyone is willing to give!
Please note the important date section below and a reminder that we will be conducting PARCC Infrastructure tests on Tuesday, April 12th and Wednesday, April 13th. As the dates are shored up for the PARCC May testing days we will let you know. A big thank you to Mrs. Morrison who has done yeoman's work learning the ins and outs of the PARCC testing- no small feat.
On a final note I have embedded an interesting article about teaching our children how to meditate.
Have a great rest of the day.
PCC Budget update at bottom of page. Please consider a Direct Donation to help the PCC reach their goal.
Important Dates to Remember
Tuesday, April 12th Seventh and Eighth Grade PARCC Testing Infrastructure Trial
Wednesday, April 13th Sixth Grade PARCC Testing Infrastructure Trial
Wednesday, April 13th FEF FPS Middle School Trivia Bee Competition @ 5:30 PM and regular competition @ 7PM - Mercer Auditorium HMMS
Thursday, April 14th Incoming Sixth Grade Parent Orientation @ 6:30 PM
Friday, April 15th One Boston Day
Monday, April 18th - Friday, April 22nd Spring Break
Monday, April 25th Students and Staff Return
Wednesday, April 27th - Are You Smarter Than a Teacher? @ 2PM
Friday, April 29th 1/2 Day for students 10:40 AM Dismissal Staff PD Day
Message from your ASMS PCC
- We have collected 28%, $3,200 of the $11,400 goal for the year.
- We need $8,200 to meet already budgeted expenses.
- Please consider making a direct donation to ensure that the PCC traditions and activities can continue at ASMS, such as the Mission Card Program in-house events, such as Deanna's Fund, field trips and field days to name a few. Suggested donation is $30.00 per student.
- A Direct Donation form can be found by clicking on the link below.