DeGolyer's Weekly Newsletter: February 1 - February 7, 2016
100% OF STUDENTS AT OR ABOVE GRADE LEVEL
E.L. DeGolyer Elementary educates and empowers all students for success by ensuring they are college and career ready citizens.
Upcoming Events and Due Dates
02/01-02/08 - IStation Monthly Assessment
02/04 - TWDL Kinder Round Up
02/05 - Mock STAAR Math 3-5
02/08 - Mock STAAR Reading 3-5
02/08 - ILT, 3:30 p.m. **Correction to Staff Calendar
02/08 - 02/12 - Common Assessment Window
02/11 - Mr. Hernandez's Birthday
02/11 - PD 3:30-5:00 p.m.
02/12 - Valentine Parties
02/18 - Colon's Birthday
02/23 - Rangel's Birthday
02/25 - Feasel's Birthday
02/26 - 4th Grade Fun Friday
02/27 - Hunter and Mays' Birthday
- Due to pressing matters, Wilke will be at Withers most of this week. Please see Mays for any sidekick needs.
- Our School Board voted to officially extend recess to 20 min this year and 30 min next year. We will begin 20 min recesses starting 02/08. New schedules will be sent out by Wednesday. Keep your eye out for email.
- Our new team members did a great job representing us at the talent show! The dance was a real "Treasure."
- Shout out to Mrs. Ryder for a FANTASTIC and SUPER ALIGNED math lesson on Friday! Our 3rd grade mathematicians were really working their brains.
- Shout out to Mr. Hernandez for his constant smile and positive attitude as he works hard to keep our building clean.
Employee of the Month: Reynolds and Butler
Coach Reynolds, please enjoy the Principal parking spot until Feb. 29th.
Mrs. Butler, please enjoy the Employee of the Month spot until Feb. 29th.
Thought for the Week
Every instructional second matters! Let's ensure that we are capitalizing on our Ten with a Pen routines.
Ten with a Pen Components:
- What to Do: Directions stated clearly and concisely for student expectations for the do now and entry routines.
- Aggressive Monitoring: (Occurs DURING student work time) Teacher constantly circulates during do now, checks student work against teacher copy of completed exemplar marking at least 10 student papers.
- Positive Narration: (Occurs DURING student work time)Teacher narrates positive student choices directly related to "what to do" and maintains more than a 5 to 1 ratio of narrations to redirects or consequences.
- Lightening Quick Corrections: (Occurs DURING student work time) All negative behavior addressed on the spot and quickly. Student misconceptions addressed on the spot during aggressive monitoring.
Ten with a Pen Tips and Reminders
- The total duration of Ten with a Pen is 10 minutes. It is not a 15-20 minute routine in which the students are working independently for 10 min. Here is one possible breakdown:
- What to Do (1-2 min), Student Work time (5-6 min), Review of most missed problems/questions during independent work time (2-4 min).
Action Plan Connection/Update
Foster positive climate and culture through a student behavior support system, student routines, and a shared understanding of the campus' mission and vision.
Referral Total Feb 1, 2015: 55
Level I Offenses: 45
Level II Offenses: 10
Referrals Year to Date 2016: 18
Level I Offenses: 17
Level II Offenses: 1
67% DECREASE!! Great job everyone!!!
New Teacher Excellence Initiative Website Now Live!
We are pleased to announce the launch of a new TEI website. The site can be found by visiting tei.dallasisd.org The new and improved user-friendly site contains information and resources for current and future teachers, administrators and parents and community.
Dates to Remember:
February 15: Must have years of service updated in Oracle.