Future Bronco News
For all incoming 9th grade families!
Welcome to Northgate!
There are several dates coming up that will offer you and your student a chance to get acquainted with the school. Additionally, these dates will give you critical information on courses as well as their selection, and will offer helpful guidance on how to plan for the year ahead. Participation in these events will help you and your student get ahead in terms of learning how to maximize success at Northgate.
Coffee with Coop- 8th grade edition
Thursday, Feb. 3rd, 8am
This is an online event.
Mock Congress is a senior Capstone project
Folding polygons in math- and creating art!
Sports medicine serves our athletes through their internship program
Scenes from Open House
We are the Broncos
High School Course Counseling
Foothill Middle School Counseling Visits
February 28-March 2
What if my child does not attend Foothill?
March 1st- 2:30-4pm- Zoom Link below
Seena Farhada (senior) and the LEAP foundation
Donates backpacks to homeless and foster youth
Jordan Jewell (sophomore) and local law enforcement
Donating toys to local children for the holidays
Northgate students volunteer at Ayers Elementary
Holiday story time!
Who do I contact?
- Last Name A-G- Leanne Owen- email@example.com ext 3546
- Last Name H-O Kristen Bligh- firstname.lastname@example.org ext 3526
- Last Name P-Z William Stallworth- email@example.com ext 3539
- Last Name A-L Kara Ravina- firstname.lastname@example.org ext 3502
- Last Name M-Z Tyler Rosecrans- email@example.com ext 3503
- Interim- firstname.lastname@example.org ext 3537
Intra and Inter District Transfers and the Choice/Unassigned Area
Course Scheduling Packets due to Northgate HS by March 1st!
Where do I get scheduling packets?
Packets will also be available at the 8th grade information night on February 17th, and in MDUSD middle school offices.
Course request forms should be submitted to MDUSD middle school offices, brought to Northgate High School's office, or scanned and emailed to email@example.com by March 1st.
Submitting a scheduling packet DOES NOT mean you are enrolled at Northgate HS- please be sure to follow all district processes listed above to get enrolled- if you have questions, please reach out to our registrar at ext 3537.
Offerings in the Arts at NHS
Performing and Visual Arts
Contact: Roberto Garcia-Leiva- firstname.lastname@example.org
Vocal Music- Auditions and Placement generally in May, working also with middle school programs
Contact: Geoff Carter, Director- email@example.com
Dance- Auditions and Placement in May; 9th grade students may be placed in Dance I or II only.
Contact: Kourtnie Howerton- firstname.lastname@example.org
Drama- Auditions and Placement generally in May, working with middle school programs
Contact: John Litten- email@example.com
Visual Art- 9th grade students generally begin with Art Design A/B, Video Production, Ceramics I, or Intro to Animation; contact department chair for more information
Contact: Carolyn Moore- firstname.lastname@example.org
Guitar- Beginning guitar is an entry-level course, where students can learn to read music, learn chords and fingering, and become proficient in basic guitar playing. The classroom is equipped with acoustic guitars, or students can bring their own. Contact- Geoff Carter- email@example.com
Come See NHS in Action!
- Orchestra and Band on the Run! March 4 at Boundary Oaks- Tickets HERE
- Musical America- Little Theatre- March 4, 5, 10, 11 and 12.
- Drama Production's Spring Performance- A Night with Shakespeare- 'The Tempest' and '12th Night' -March 21-24; 28-30
- Dance Production Shows- April 11-14
- Instrumental Music Concert at the Lesher- May 17
If your child is interested in playing a sport, please contact the coach and keep an eye on the website for announcements. Our Athletics Webpage includes information on how to register and important dates. All athletes must upload a current physical.
Our sports medicine program has a one day opportunity for athletes to come get their physicals, while also benefiting the program that will help to keep them healthy and playing all year round.
Any further questions, please contact the Athletic Director, Ben Ballard.
Club Offerings at NHS
This year's bell schedule
Bell Schedule notes-
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you are from the Choice area or out of residency, please be sure to communicate with student services and follow deadlines. Enrollment is done by the district office. More details are below. Those students who live in the Northgate attendance area, and attended an MDUSD middle school are automatically pre-enrolled. Those students who live in the attendance area, but come from a private school, charter school, or home school will need to first register online at mdusd.org/enrollnow. Students outside of Northgate's attendance or the unassigned/choice area will need to apply for an intradistrict transfer.
We are pre-enrolled, now what?
- Course request forms must be completed and submitted in March. Class lists will be emailed during the summer to adjust for errors or changes, and official schedules are given at walk through registration in August.
- All 9th grade families will need to complete an address verification with the Northgate office during a particular time span in August, to be announced later. (Generally the first two weeks in August before walk through registration).
Are there any AP or Honors courses for my 9th grader?
- There are no honors or AP courses that 9th graders take. Many classes are prescribed 9th grade year, including Freshmen PE, Living Earth (Biology), and English I. Math classes are assigned based on 8th grade placement and CAASSP scores.
What is Link Crew?
-Link Crew is our freshman transition program, where junior and senior students are trained to be Link Crew Leaders, and freshmen are put into small groups with two leaders, who remain with them throughout the year. They will meet their leaders at Freshmen Orientation, and continue to interact and receive mentoring and assistance from them throughout the year in Strategic Support.
What is Strategic Support?
- Northgate has a unique bell schedule where built in two times a week are periods of time for students to study, work on homework, work with trained student mentors, and engage in small group activities to build community. Strategic Support (SS) operates as a separate class, occurring after 3rd period on Tuesdays and Thursdays. No grades or credits are given for these periods, but attendance is taken, and the time important to academic success.
Some Tips from the Pros
- Parents should sign up for newsletters and read all the updates/information pieces that come out, NHS does a great job of keeping parents informed.
- Drop off can get hairy. Allow for plenty of time, as the slow-down is real, drive through the drop off area (pull forward as far as possible before stopping) and do not stay after your child has left the vehicle. Please also remember students are all over the area- illegal u-turns and speeding are unsafe and put all of our children at risk.
- As a student, the best way to feel like you're a part of the big school is to be involved! Take a look at the club offerings, athletics and arts, and find something to do with your peers!
- Northgate is a GREAT school. 9th Grade Parents need to trust their children. As their child begins High School, realize it is the first step to growing a happy, productive adult. Don't shelter them and do things for them. Let your child navigate through everything high school has to offer - from Walkthrough before school starts, to their classes and extra curricular activities. Guide them, but let them choose! Both you, and they, will be happier!