Shawnee Trail Elementary
December 14, 2015
Our winter parties are Friday, December 18th at 2:00pm.
Parents are welcome to attend. If you have had your license scanned this school year, you may preregister by clicking the link below and completing the form. Please complete by Wednesday, December 16th.
If you have not had your license scanned please arrive a few minutes early to complete the process.
Please note – Parents will not be allowed in the classroom until 2:00pm.
December's Character Focus is Gratitude
Gratitude is the appreciation for the benefits we receive from others, and the desire to reciprocate.
Those who demonstrate gratitude—and those who don’t—see life differently. Individuals demonstrating gratitude tend to emphasize language related to gifts, givers, blessings, blessed, fortune, fortunate, and abundance. Individuals who don’t demonstrate gratitude, on the other hand, tend to focus on deprivation, deservingness, regrets, lack, need, scarcity, and loss. For instance, a grateful person might say, “I get to go to class today,” whereas an ungrateful person might say, “Why do I have to learn all this useless stuff?”
Feeling or demonstrating gratitude could involve:
- Recognizing what other people do for you
- Showing appreciation for opportunities
- Expressing appreciation by saying thank you or doing nice things for people
Online Tools for Homework and Study Skills
- www.Quizlet.com – Students can create flashcards and study guides to review material online or on a mobile device. Created by high-school students in 2007, the site has more than 40 million study sets generated by users.
- www.Storybird.com – This site helps students create a story or poem or present material using a variety of illustrations.
- www.KhanAcademy.org – Brief tutorials on a wide array of topics and grade levels.
- https://www.hwtears.com/hwt/parents/parent-extras -Handwriting Without Tears (FISD adopted) aims to make legible and fluent handwriting a skill that students can master easily. The program is simple for parents to use at home. Downloads and PDFs of the curriculum overview, letter formation charts and teaching guidelines by grade level are included under the Parent Extras tab.
Monday, Dec. 14th
- Frisco Family Services Food Drive Begins (Dec. 14th-Jan. 15th)
Tuesday, Dec. 15th
- 4th and 5th Grade Choir Practice (2:50-3:30)
Wednesday, Dec. 16th
- K-2 Kids Count Program (2:50-3:30)
Thursday, Dec. 17th
- 1st Grade -Zooniversity (9:00-9:45)
Friday, Dec. 18th
- Spirit Store Open (Before GMST)
- Winter Parties (2:00-2:50)
Dec. 21st-Jan. 1st
- Winter Break -No School
Tuesday, Jan. 5th
- 4th and 5th Grade Choir Practice 2:50-3:30)
Friday, Jan. 8th