Term 3 Week 7 - 5th September 2022
We have enjoyed a variety of activities in the last two weeks. Including, our own and WPSSA interschool cross countries, Mathex, Daffodil Day, country study meal and gymnastics. These events are part of our broad curriculum approach to learning, giving every child the opportunity to show their talents. During these events it is lovely to see our students demonstrating the school values by supporting each other.
We would like to welcome Isabelle and Riley Bourke and Mila King to Kokopu School. By the end of this week our school roll will be 119 and aiming to end the year at about 124. If you know of any other families in the area planning to enrol this year or next, please encourage them to fill in our pre-enrolment form on our website or contact the office. This will help us greatly in making staffing plans for next year.
Pub Charity Grant
We were very happy to have our grant application approved by Pub Charity to purchase laptops, iPads and charging trolleys. This will be so helpful toward the success of Write that Essay which will continue to enable growth across the school by having enough devices (laptops/tablets) for every child to access the online tool amongst other online learning. We would like to acknowledge the Poroti Tavern who generate the funds that Pub Charity distribute within our community.
WPSSA Cross Country Results
A big congratulations to all the Kokopu children who competed in the races at Barge Park last Friday. You all made a huge effort with some fantastic results! A special mention to Eva Gray who came in 6th in the 9 year old girls race. Well done Eva!
Thank you to the parents who transported the children in and helped supervise during the day. We appreciate your time.
Graduate Profile Update
We are updating our Kokopu Graduate Profile.
We want to know what you think a student graduating from our school should be like. Today your child will bring home a small leaflet that they have drawn on.
On the back are three short questions for parents to add their thoughts.
You can also fill in the questions online. www.bit.ly/kokopuprofile
The children will get a little treat for returning their leaflet.
Kokopu School Speeches
Tomorrow, Tuesday 6th September, we will hold our speech finals starting at 9.30am for the 3 finalists from Year 4 to Year 8. Everyone is welcome to come along and support the children.
The 3 finalists from Year 4 to Year 8 are;
Year 4 - Annabeth Riley, Journey Hughes, Logan Plummer.
Year 5 - Nathan James, Olsyn Yearbury, Eva Gray.
Year 6 - Ryder Smith, Caitlin Riley, Zoe Hayes, Emma-Lee Delemare.
Year 7 - Alex Boys, Ryan Delemare, Ben Slabbert.
Year 8 - Jack McBeth, Ben Riley, Whaea Whakamoe, Thomas Stuart.
This Wednesday 7th September we will be supporting Wig Wednesday. Getting involved is fun and easy. Bring along a gold coin donation, simply wear your favourite wig or style a funky hairdo, all while raising money for Child Cancer Foundation. This is a school council initiative and your support is appreciated.
BOT Elections Voting Closes Wednesday 7 September at 4pm
Please get your voting papers back to school by Election Day when voting closes - 4pm Wednesday 7 September. Thank you.
Last day to accept postal votes - Monday 12 September 2022
Votes counted - Tuesday 13 September
Board takes office - Wednesday 14 September
Kokopu School Gymnastics Competition
This Friday 9th September is the Kokopu School Gymnastics Competition starting at 9.30am. Children will be showing off the skills they have learnt through Active Attitude and practiced over the last few weeks. Everyone is welcome to come along and watch the competition and support the children.
Mangakahia Country Meal This Friday
Kokopu School are hosting the Country Meal at the Mangakahia Sports Complex this Friday 9th September. Thank you to those who have volunteered to help out. If anyone else can help out, we would appreciate that. Here are the allocated jobs.
- Set up @ 5.30pm - Becky, Sister, Vicki, Reynolds
- Take orders (from 6pm) & payments - Yaron, Jeff
- Check dockets at kitchen & assist with serving of food - Jennifer
- Dishwasher - Mary, Reynolds
- Run food orders, collect dirty plates, check on salad bar - Becky, Sister, Vicki
- Prepare and supervise desert - Jennifer
- Clean up - all helpers as finish other roles
All school families please provide one or two salads or some bread rolls whether you are attending or not. These can be dropped off at school on Friday is you are not coming along to the Sports Complex.
Anyone is welcome to attend this community event.
Thank you for your support with this lucrative fundraiser.
Learning at Home - Parent Help - Literacy
At Kokopu School our year 1 and 2 students are following the Better Start Literacy Approach for reading. BSLA is a phonics-based system that teaches children the foundation skills and sounds they need for successful literacy.
IF you want to read some of the books at home then follow this link. On the back page of each book there are the focus sounds and suggested teaching points.
Kokopu School Ag Day - Register Now
Kokopu School Calf Club/Ag Day on Saturday 29th October term 4 here at school.
Our lamb/goat day care is open at school each day. Children are welcome to bring their animal to school so they can look after and feed it during the day.
Please register your animal NOW. Go to Permissions on our Skool Loop app.
Chickens. This year children will be able to raise a chicken. It must be reared after the 1st July 2022. They will need to keep a photo story of the rearing of their chicken. They will be judged on their knowledge of rearing their chicken.
Fish Bin Gardens. Once again the children can grow a garden in a fish bin to bring along to school on Ag Day. There are two categories, edible and themed i.e. dinosaurs, fairies etc. It would pay to get your garden growing now.
Central Day - Thursday 3rd November at Barge Park.
- Year 7 & 8 Technology Training. Every Monday for term 3 and 4 our Year 7 and 8 students will be taking the bus into Manaia View School to do Technology Training. Please ensure they are at school before 9am when the bus leaves and also that they are wearing their Kokopu School Tee Shirt.
- Gymnastics Coaching. All children train on Fridays with Active Attitude to get ready for our gymnastics competition later in the term. Please send them in appropriate clothing for gymnastics.
- Carpark and gate. Please come to the gate in the carpark to collect your children at the end of the day. We do not want children walking through the carpark without an adult as it is unsafe with the amount of cars and limited parking. We have a teacher on duty at the gate each day to supervise. Can we ask parents and visitors to make sure they close the gates if you use them? We have a few children that may be prone to walking out an open gate. Thank you.
- Absences. A reminder that it is important to contact the school before 9.30am when your child will be absent. You can either phone, email or let us know via our Skool Loop app. We need to know where your children are so we know they are safe and can mark them correctly on the roll. See details in this newsletter on how to download our Skool Loop App.
- Iceblock Sales. Ice Blocks are for sale again to raise funds for the school. Many children who come to school with $2 like to buy their friend an ice block. Please could you send a note to say they are allowed to do this? The Room 6 children do ask but a note would be easier for them.
- Term Dates. Term 1 03/02— 14/04 Term 2 02/05— 08/07 Term 3 25/07— 30/09 Term 4 17/10— 15/12
- Term 3 25/07 - 30/09
- 6 September - Kokopu Speech Competition
- 7 September - Wig/Wacky hair day
- 9 September - Kokopu Gymnastics Competition
- 9 September - Mangakahia Country Meal - Kokopu School Hosting
- 19 September - BOT Meeting 5.30pm
- 21 September - Production Rehearsal at Clark Road Chapel
- 22 September - Production Matinee and Evening shows
- 28 September - Mangakahia Lions Speech Competition
- Term 4 17/10 to 15/12
- 29 October - Kokopu School Ag Day
- 3 November - Central Ag Day
School Policies and Procedures Schooldocs
Maunu Tennis Club
MAUNU TENNIS CLUB
SENIOR opening day: Sat 17 Sep 10 am, and each Sat thereafter from 1 pm
TWILIGHT tennis each Thu 5:30 pm starting Thu 29 Sep
LADIES DAY every Wed 9 am
JUNIOR COACHING: Starts Tue 18 Oct. 4-8 yrs 3:15 pm start. Others 4 pm.
Queries to Matt Trubshaw (027 478 6655) or Jill Trubshaw re juniors (021 611 522)