NSSD Parent Update
September 15, 2020
The North Santiam School District is announcing a change in our school start date and the preparations needed to reopen school for the 2020-21 year. The District is assessing its buildings, cleaning, responding to air quality issues and evaluating the availability of our staff. Due to these needs the new anticipated start date for instruction is Monday, September 28.
We anticipate Mari-Linn Elementary School and students that live in the Canyon may have a different start date and schedule for Chromebook distribution. We ask families that have been displaced by the fire to fill out the survey below to assist us in our planning.
All Schools are planning to distribute Chromebooks on September 21st and 22nd (Mari-Linn is tentavive). Each school will communicate with families specific times and they will be posted to the website. Schools are also planning for a "soft start” to occur Sept. 24th or 25th which will involve teachers checking in with students to make sure they are able to log on and understand how to navigate the Canvas platform for the first day of school. Further training support for Parents and Students will be sent home on Monday, September 21st.
The District has established a new page on the website that will contain frequent updates with time stamps so it will be easy to know how recent the information is. It will contain messages from each school principal and also district-wide information. There are also links and other resources that you may find helpful. It can be found under QuickLinks on all school homepages, including the District’s under Wildfire Response/School Updates”. If for any reason, school will not be able to resume on Monday, Sept 28, this information will be communicated no later than Wednesday, Sept 23.
The NSSD Board of Directors meeting that was scheduled for Thursday, September 17 has been postponed. It is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, September 24 but if that changes, it will be communicated on the website.