Kodiak Monthly News - November 2022
-No XC Practice
Nov 1 - 3rd Grade Choir, 8:30-9am, Music Room 201
- 5th grade STEM, 4-5:30pm, Rooms 521 and 522
- Final XC Meet @ Kokanee 4:45-6pm
Nov 3 - PTA Candy Buy Back
Nov 4 - NSD End of 1st Quarter
Nov 6 - Daylight Savings Time ends - Set Clocks BACK One Hour
Nov 7 - 4th & 5th grade AM Choir, 8:30-9:10am, Music Room by Gym
Nov 8 - 3rd Grade Choir, 8:30-9am, Music Room 201
- 5th grade STEM, 4-5:30pm, Rooms 521 and 522
- General Election – Remember to Vote
Nov 10 - Veteran's Day Assembly / Picture Retakes / Reflections submittals due
Nov 11 - NO SCHOOL - Veteran's Day
Nov 14 - Progress Reports sent home with students
Nov 15 - Kindergarten Field Trip to Storybook Theater
ASB Spirit Day - Multiples Day/Twin Day
Nov 16 - Normal Early Release Wednesday - 2:30pm
BOOK FAIR BEGINS Nov 17
Nov 17 - Conference Day - Elementary Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm
Nov 18 - Conference Day - Elementary Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm
Nov 21 - Conference Day - Elementary Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm / PTA Staff Appreciation Brunch Buffet
Nov 22 - Conference Day - Elementary Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm
BOOK FAIR ENDS Nov 22
Nov 23 - Conference Day - Elementary Early Dismissal @ 12:40pm
Nov 24 NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Day
Nov 25 NO SCHOOL - Native American Heritage Day
Nov 30 - 4th/5th Grade Choir Concert - 7:30pm @ Inglemoor HS / PTA Dining for Dollars - Chaat House
School Celebrations in the Classroom
Our school team has developed a set of school-wide celebration agreements that will guide us in planning parties for our students. The agreements are as follows:
- Our grade levels will have one celebration party per semester in addition to an end of the school year celebration.
- Each grade level teacher will work together with the grade level team to develop a semester celebration plan, including a consistent date and theme for the celebration, similar to the shared same experiences provided for field trips at each grade level.
- Grade level teams will develop their celebration theme plan based on data collected about our students and work to ensure that the planned party is inclusive to all students at the grade level.
- If grade levels choose to do so, they may hold their celebration across classrooms within the grade. Grade level teams may also choose to offer different options related to their celebration, if necessary, to promote inclusivity.
- Semester celebration parties will last approximately one hour. Set-up and clean up time will not impact instructional time.
NSD Dress Code
Our NSD Dress Code Policy Applies on Halloween and every day in NSD. Students may wear costumes to school as long as they do not violate the dress code below:
The student’s attire is primarily the responsibility of the parents or legal guardians. The Northshore School District is responsible for assuring that student attire does not disrupt or interfere with the educational process which includes the health, safety, and emotional well-being of all students. Student attire should not contribute to any hostile or intimidating atmosphere for students.
Students May Wear:
• Religious headwear
• Other headwear* must allow the face to be fully visible to school staff
• Fitted** pants, including leggings, yoga pants and “skinny jeans.”
• Ripped or distressed jeans/shorts that do not expose underwear
• Tank tops, halter tops, and crop tops (including those with spaghetti straps)
• Sunglasses (can be worn outside). Special approval is needed to wear sunglasses in the classroom setting for medical purposes.
*Headwear is approved to be worn on campus during the school day, unless it is a safety issue. Headwear includes, but is not limited to, hats, visors, bonnets, hoodies, etc. In all circumstances, teachers should attempt to accommodate students who choose to put on headwear.
**The term “fitted” can best be described as form fitting garments that contour the body while providing coverage at the same time.
Students May Not Wear Clothing With:
• Violent language or images
• Images or language that encourages the use of alcohol, tobacco, vaping, or the use of any other drugs.
• Images or language that depicts illegal activity or that creates a hostile environment
• Hate speech, gang/hate group affiliation, profanity, or pornography
• Bathing suit tops, tube tops, or sports bras (unless worn underneath another approved article of clothing)
• Visible underwear or boxers
• Masks* and headwear that conceal the face (except for religious, medical, and/or health related purposes)
• Dangerous or sharp objects that could be used as a weapon, spikes, etc.
*Unless directed by state, county, or district officials
Veteran's Day Celebration - November 10th
Veterans, those who currently serve, and Civil Servants (military/fire/law enforcement) are invited to attend as our guests for a school-wide Veteran's Day assembly event in honor of your service at 9:45am - 10:15am.
Families may send in a star for each family member to be included in our program. Students can get the stars from their teacher or from the front office. Please write the the name, rank and/or branch of service on it and turn it in by November 9th.
Picture Retakes - November 10th
If your child is getting their picture for the first time this year, you can order online at the below link, or request an envelope from the front for cash or check made out to FireFly Images.
Book Fair is Back!
This is an important fundraiser that allows our Library to purchase the newest books for all of our Kokanee students and staff to check out!
Book Fair Family Shopping Hours:
12:40-4:00 Thursday & Friday, 11/17-11/18
12:40-4:00 Monday & Tuesday, 11/21-11/22
All students will be able to make a "Wish List" during their library time. Grade 2-5 may shop during their library time. K-1 students must shop after school with an adult. Check out Kokanee's Book Fair page to set up an eWallet for your child between November 10-22. No checks accepted. Cash, credit card or eWallet only.
To learn more about our Book Fair, set up an eWallet or volunteer to help, please visit our Book Fair information page!
Book Fair Volunteer Sign Up Link:
Fall Sports - Cross Country
Come cheer on the Kodiaks during the LAST meet of the year!
Tuesday, November 1st
HOME MEET @ Kokanee
4:45pm - 6pm
UNIFORM TURN - IN
Thank you to all Kodiak Cross Country runners and families! Please wash and return your green XC shirt to the office or gym ASAP. Please label the shirt with a post it with your name, grade, and classroom teacher. Track and Field season will start after spring break. Thank you- Mr. Martin firstname.lastname@example.org & Ms. Lee email@example.com.
4th and 5th Grade CHOIR
Come enjoy the Kokanee 4th & 5th grade choir in our very first performance!
WHERE: Concert Hall @ Inglemoor High School
WHEN: Wednesday, November 30th @7:30pm
Questions? Please email Mrs. Bergman at firstname.lastname@example.org
ASB Twin Day - November 15th
Tuesday, November 15th is ASB Multiples Day / Twin Day! Have fun by dressing like someone else. Kokanee Admin and many staff will be wearing blue or green Kokanee shirts. Feel free to dress in blue to green to match lots of other people!
Adverse Weather: Preparing for Wind and Rain
As we transition from autumn to winter, rain and wind storms will become more common. Schools will communicate directly with families when adverse weather conditions affect our school buildings. Our priority is to preserve in-person learning as long as we are able to do it safely. Please keep in mind that for temporary power outages, the District is unlikely to close school because of the significant disruption to student learning and essential services. For more information please visit https://www.nsd.org/resources/reference/closures-delays
To ensure you receive a phone call, email and/or text message, it is important to make sure your family’s contact information is current. Families can verify contact information in ParentVUE. Please contact the school if you need help accessing ParentVUE or updating contact information.
Winter Season Supports for our Families
Hello Kokanee Families!
As we approach the winter season, we are already anticipating the excitement and joy that this season brings!
This year we are partnering with The Eastside Church in Bothell and The Pizza Coop in Woodinville to provide assistance to families who may be in need over the holidays. This program is confidential and all requests will only be sent to our school counselor, Sophie Nelson.
If your family is needing assistance, please fill out the below form. Questions? Please contact Sophie Nelson at 425-408-4927 or email@example.com
Please complete this survey by Friday, November 11th. Thank you!
Vaccination update regarding volunteering
Starting November 1, 2022, proof of COVID-19 vaccination will no longer be required for Northshore School District volunteers, contractors, or staff. This District change is in response to Governor Inslee’s repeal of the COVID-19 emergency proclamations and state of emergency by Oct. 31, 2022.
- Classroom and/or on-campus volunteers - complete a background check (level 1) through Safe Visitor Solutions. This background check is through the Washington State Patrol System which many of you are familiar with.
- Field trip chaperones and/or drivers - complete a background check (level 2) through Safe Visitor Solutions. There is a $12.95 cost to the volunteer to process this background check. If this cost creates a hardship that will prevent you from volunteering your time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. After your first year of volunteering, you will be asked to complete a free Level 1 background check at your yearly renewal.
Threads & Treads - Holiday Wish List
A HUGE THANK YOU to Kokanee Elementary families who collected SOCKS during your ASB sock drive! All of our families get new socks and underwear each month and we are always in need of new socks and underwear to hand out!
This time of year we also need of new or gently used coats, snow clothes and warm clothing for everyone in the family. We are also always in need of casual mens and teen boys clothing, including jeans and hoodies.
Clothing Donations – Donations can be dropped off at Threads & Treads, located in a portable behind the CPMS gymnasium on Wednesdays from 2:30-6pm OR any day of the week to the CPMS front office during school hours. Donation bins are located just inside the school's front entry door.
All Northshore families are welcome to come shop! We are open each Wednesday from 3-6pm or the first Saturday of each month from 9-12pm.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Kelly Hennessey at email@example.com.
Thank you for your help in supporting this vital community resource!
CANDY BUY BACK
Turn in any candy to trade into your classroom's candy box by Thursday, November 3rd.
We’ll provide slips the kids can attach to their candy for identification, and we’ll provide boxes for classroom candy collection. Classroom with the greatest weight will be earn a reward!
Want to help? Kokanee PTA needs volunteers to help with weighing, boxing candy after school on 11/3. firstname.lastname@example.org
2022-23 Reflections Theme - SHOW YOUR VOICE!
Kokanee students are encouraged to participate in the 2022-2023 Reflections program.
Applications are on the PTA website at https://kokaneepta.memberplanet.com/Reflections.html
Submissions are due to the Kokanee Elementary Main Office before November 11, 2022
Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Watch D.O.G.S. at Kokanee Elementary
Watch D.O.G.S. are positive male role models that spend time with the students of Kokanee Elementary, including their own student(s) during the school day.
***This program is sponsored by the Kokanee PTA***
HOW? - go to kokaneepta.com, click on “programs” tab, “Watch DOGS,” and follow instructions to complete your background check (level 1) and sign up!
WHEN? - Watch D.O.G.S. are welcome to come for all or part of the day, as long as we know the start and end times you are coming. Remember, the purpose of this program is to not only spend time with your student, but to interact with other kids at Kokanee Elementary. Email your preferred dates, times, and student name(s)/teacher(s) to the email address below.
WHY? We want all kids at Kokanee Elementary to feel valued and validated, and Watch D.O.G.S. can help!
MORE QUESTIONS? Email Sarah Kosenski at email@example.com.