By: Consuela Merkle
How do i correctly perform a soil test in my yard?
- Squeeze test
- If it holds its shape, and when you give it a light poke, it crumbles. This means you have loam soil.
- If it holds its shape, and when poked, sits in your hand. This means you have clay soil.
- If it falls apart as soon as you open your hand. This means you have sandy soil.
- Drainage Test
- Dig a hole about six inches wide and one foot deep.
- Fill the hole with water and let it drain completely.
- Fill it with water again
- keep track of how long it takes for the water to drain.
- pH level
- Get a kit for the garden center and test it.
What do i do with unusual spots in my yard?
Determine the problem, you might just need more seeds. If you have bald spots, rake until smooth and no big clumps of soil, then put a thin layer of seeds of soil, gently rake until seeds are in top soil, put straw over it so the moisture stays and birds cant get to it.