Creating a Shared Future Vision
Strategic Plan Presented at May 18 Board of Ed Meeting
Superintendent's Message ~ May 2023
I am thrilled to present Kirby School District 140’s newly created Strategic Plan! Utilizing feedback gathered from stakeholders and coupled with the analysis work of a 23-member committee, this framework reflects our community’s shared aspirations and commitment to student success.
Engaging All Stakeholders
Kirby School District 140 partnered with Hazard, Young, Attea, and Associates (HYA) to develop a strategic plan using a four-phase process that included conducting research, developing a plan, and identifying and executing implementation steps. Through interviews, focus groups, surveys, and committee work, the strategic planning process engaged all District stakeholders, including parents, teachers, administrators, staff, students, and community residents. The process resulted in a long-term decision-making framework built upon the shared values held by our community.
Mission ~ Every Child. Every Day.
After careful deliberation and collaborative discussions, our Strategic Planning Committee developed a mission statement that encapsulates our unwavering dedication to each and every student. Our mission is simple yet powerful ~ Every Child. Every Day. This statement serves as a reminder of our primary focus and purpose as an educational institution - to provide the highest quality education and support to all students, ensuring their success and well-being in every aspect of their lives.
Vision ~ Kirby School District 140 is committed to working in partnership with our community to build a safe, respectful, and nurturing environment where students are equipped with skills for life and learning.
Our Vision encapsulates the collective aspirations of our District and emphasizes the importance of collaboration, community engagement, and holistic student development. It highlights our dedication to fostering a positive school culture prioritizing safety, respect, and nurturing relationships. By partnering with our community, we aim to create an inclusive and supportive environment that empowers our students with the skills, knowledge, and values necessary for their personal and academic growth.
Strategic Priorities and Objectives
These priorities and objectives serve as guiding principles that will shape our District's policies, programs, and initiatives in the coming years. They provide clear direction for all stakeholders and help align our collective efforts toward a shared purpose.
- Ensure a standard-based aligned curriculum that provides a bridge between grade levels.
- Provide research-based, high-quality instruction to all students based on individual needs.
- Provide programs and resources to promote self-awareness.
- Provide extra and co-curricular opportunities that enhance student growth outside the classroom.
- Prepare students for the next grade level, college, careers, and beyond.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships that foster two-way communication with students, families, staff, and community members.
- Provide consistent, targeted, relevant, and transparent District and school communications.
- Provide accessible communication utilizing multiple modalities.
- Establish and maintain positive community partnerships that enhance student learning.
- Consistently promote student success.
- Provide annual cash projections to ensure financial sustainability.
- Ensure that purchasing procedures are aligned with best practices.
- Maintain, update, and evaluate the operations, safety, and components of all facilities.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility in evaluating annual staffing needs.
- Establish sustainable technology and curriculum replacement cycles.
- Foster an affirming, welcoming, safe, and engaging environment for all.
- Maintain clear and high expectations for staff and students to develop meaningful relationships with each other.
- Establish an equitable physical environment for all students that fosters collaboration, communication, and access to technology.
- Recruit, develop, and retain high-quality employees.
- Promote positive reinforcement of good work ethic and character.
Portrait of a Graduate
Moving forward, our strategic framework will guide our decision-making, curriculum development, and communication with all members of our community. By embracing this Strategic Plan, we demonstrate our commitment to student success and ensure that every student's educational journey is grounded in a safe, respectful, and nurturing environment.
Our next steps include the following:
- Superintendent and administrative team develop a district-level implementation plan to accomplish the goals and objectives identified in the Strategic Plan.
- Principals and school-based teams create and align school improvement plans to the District Strategic Plan.
- Create a strategic dashboard to monitor and share progress with the D140 community.
Please visit the Strategic Plan section of our District website to track the progress of our plan implementation and execution.