- Undersea volcanoes that erupted thousands of years ago formed the islands of Hawaii.
- Hawaii is made up of 132 islands.
- Hawaii is about 2,000 miles away from the United States.
- The island of Hawaii is still getting bigger because as the lava from Mt. Kilauea cools and hardens, it adds to the land.
- Hawaii became the 50th state on August 21st, 1959.
- people from Polynesia settled Hawaii more than 1,500 years ago.
- The first European to reach Hawaii was James Cook.
- The Japanese attacked the naval base in pearl harbor on December 7th, 1941.
Plants and Animals
- Some animals that live in Hawaii are Hawaiian monk seals, sea turtles, mongoose, and in more unusual places of Hawaii, deer, sheep, pigs and goats.
- Some Hawaiian flowers are plumerias, orchids, hibiscus, and white pikake.
- The koa tree is one of the tallest trees in Hawaii. It's 70 feet tall.
- There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet: a,e,i,o,u,h,k,l,m,n,and u.
- The state fish of Hawaii is the humuhumunukunukuapuaa.
- Hawaii has its own time zone. There's no daylight savings time.
- Hawaii is the only state that grows coffee, bananas, pineapples, and papayas.
Nickname: The Aloha State
Flower: Yellow Hibiscus
Gemstone: Black Coral