Fourth Grade Update [January 2016]
As the weather gets colder and flu season is beginning, I have a few reminders for you.
1. Make sure your student is dressed for the weather. We will go outside until the wind chill is 0 degrees or below. They need hats, gloves, scarves and winter jackets.
2. Encourage your children to keep hands clean as much as possible. If you would like to help supply the classrooms with hand sanitizer, please send your donations to school with your child. It would be greatly appreciated.
Math: Khan Academy recommendations and Math facts (XtraMath)
Reading: 20 minutes at home and reading log (filled out and signed by adult each night). I will be checking them in school EVERY morning.
Thanks for all you do!
What are we working on?
Math: Unit 2 is coming to a close and we are finishing our final assessment for the unit! We will begin our new Unit of Math on January 18th.
Reading: Our fiction unit will be ending this week on Friday. We will begin our new Unit on Monday January 18th.
1. I can recognize different types of fiction and their structures.
2. I can identify common elements and key details in fiction.
3. I can understand the narrative, chronological structure of fiction.
4. I can retell stories using story structure elements and key details and determine their central message or theme.
5. I can understand differences in points of view of characters.
6. I can determine the difference between nonliteral and figurative language.
7. I can identify the authors purpose in a fiction text.
Writing: We are still working within Unit 3 Literary Essays. We will be learning about writing Opinion/Argument essays.
Target: I can read myself awake and write about fiction.
As many of you know, this year we will be taking the PARCC test near the end of the year. This test is quite different than ISATs, as it is taken completely on the computer. We are taking the practice tests in school and we encourage you to take a look to see what is expected of them. We also encourage you to work on the practice tests with your child. It will help you and your child get acquainted with the test.
Here is the link for the PARCC practice test site:
You will have to click on 4th grade. On this site you will see a practice test for Math and ELA/Literacy.