Edgerton Weekly #7
October 14, 2016
Equity in All We Do-Implicit Bias
Please read the short article below titled Bias Isn't Just A Police Problem, It's A Preschool Problem. Think about the implications this has for us as educators.
The Two by Ten Strategy for Dealing with Difficult Students
- Identify one of your most difficult students.
- For two minutes a day, ten days in a row, have a conversation with that student.
- It should be personal and relate to the student’s interests.
- It should NOT be about school, grades, or behavior.
Typically the students with the most challenging behaviors are the ones with the most need for a positive and personal connection with their teacher.
Source: Assuming the Best , by R. Smith & M. Lambert, Educational Leadership, Sept., 2008
623 Cultural Liaisons
Kristina Robertson, our EL supervisor is now supervising our cultural liaisons. She is offering some guidance and information listed below regarding requests for our cultural liaisons.
- Please contact Carrie Hayne or Kristina about your need for cultural liaison support for events. We will work with the cultural liaison team to determine how to best cover your language needs for that night depending on how many commitments each cultural liaison has that week. We will add it to the calendar and let you know it’s confirmed.
- If staff members talk to a cultural liaison about an event, the cultural liaison needs to confirm with Carrie Hayne and Kristina before it is finalized. We encourage building staff to confirm with Carrie Hayne and Kristina as well in order to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- We recognize that when cultural liaisons work at evening events, it may impact their daily work load through flex time, so we may not always be able to provide cultural liaison support for events and in this case buildings will need to hire interpreters.
- Also, join us in welcoming our new Somali cultural liaisons! We have hired two Somali cultural liaisons on an hourly basis. Abdirashid and Fathiya come to us with great experience and have already had some connections with our community members. You can email them at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Carrie Hayne or Kristina if you want help making arrangements.
Amazon Smile; An Announcement from the Edgerton PTA!
Do you shop Amazon.com? By using Amazon Smile, Amazon.com will donate a portion of your purchases to the charity of choice with no added cost to you! To add Edgerton PTA as your charity of choice, go to: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/41-6039582. The Edgerton PTA's Official Name is "PTA Minnesota Congress Edgerton 004853 Edgerton PTA." Once you have selected Edgerton PTA as your charity, start your future shopping at smile.amazon.com and sign in using your regular Amazon account. A big thank you to our new PTA president Rachel Coleman for setting this up!
- Pineappling! The chart is up in the office. I encourage you to take a look and start getting into each others classrooms!
- TDE-Just a reminder, the Individual and Team Forms are Due Oct. 19
- Community Education-If people show up for a community education event we should not let them in the gym or in the back doors if they arrive early. Community Ed. will let them in when they arrive. Thanks in advance for your help.