Slate Hill Newsletter
September 25, 2022
Dear Slate Hill Families,
I hope all of you enjoyed the nice weather this weekend and had some fun-filled family time.
This year our goal is to help all students successfully follow our building wide expectations. They are being respectful and responsible, being safe, taking care of ourselves, others and our property and being an active and engaged learner. You can help your child be an active and engaged learnef by helping them to be at school on time. Our Slate Hill doors open at 7:55am and students need to be in class by 8:10am. After 8:10am they are marked tardy. We also offer breakfast in the morning for a fee beginning at 7:55am. My saying to our Stars is, "if you get to school by 8, then you won't be late!"
When students are settled in their classroom before the bell rings and have a chance to put away their bookbag, yellow folder and start their morning routine, they are better able to focus, engage in their learning and have positive interactions with their peers. We value your partnership in your child's learning and if there is anyway I can assist you, please let me know.
Don't forget that this TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27th is PICTURE DAY! All students will get their picture taken for the yearbook so be sure to bring your smile. When you purchase school pictures, a portion of the money is given back to Slate Hill to use for fun activities for our Slate Hill Stars like assemblies, prizes, classroom supplies and more. Thank you for supporting Slate Hill!
Below are a few more family group (constellations) pictures!
The Adventure Awaits at the Slate!
Julie Gulley, Slate Hill Principal
October 6th is City BBQ Night! Skip the dishes and eat at City BBQ on Thursday, 10/6! A percentage of the sales will go to help support the PTA.
Fall Fest is Friday, October 7th from 5pm-7pm. There will be food trucks, a hayride, inflatables, DJ, and a photo booth! We look forward to seeing you there!
Joining Kroger Community Rewards is a great way to support the PTA! The program is free and does not take anything away from your Fuel Points or any other Kroger programs. To get started, click here! Our organization is Slate Hill PTA or use code IW349.
We hope you will join our PTA this year and support the great things they are doing for our Slate Hill Stars! You can join by completing the paper form that was sent home with your student(s), or by using this link. https://slatehillpta.memberhub.com/store
Picture Day for Slate Hill!
Dear Slate Hill Elementary School Parents and Guardians,
Picture Day is Tuesday, September 27 at Slate Hill Elementary!
Save time and pre-order your photographs online. You can also download the flyer (below), print it out and return it to the school on Picture Day, enclosed in an envelope with your payment. You can also go to RipchoStudio.com to order your school pictures. Your online password is: 3521slate
*Online ordering and password expire 48 hours after the Photo Date.
Questions? Call the studio local at 216.631.0664 or or toll free at 800.686.7427 ext. 1
Free Tennis Clinics!
On Fridays from 5:30-6:30 at the Thomas Worthington High School tennis courts, the WorthingtonTOP organization hosts a free tennis clinic for students! They have rackets and balls if you don’t have your own.
The form linked below is a quick safety waiver if your child is new to the tennis clinics
For additional information, feel free to email email@example.com . We look forward to seeing all the future tennis players!
Monarch Makers Market
The Slate Hill Book Fair will be here in October!
- Monday, October 17th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Tuesday, October 18th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 19th from 8:00am - 8:00pm
- Thursday, October 20th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Monday, October 24th from 8:00am - 3:30pm
Every student will have a chance to visit the book fair and shop during library class, but they can also visit during recess and before or after school. In addition, families are welcome to visit during Parent Teacher Conference week!
If you want to sign up to volunteer while your student’s class is visiting at the fair, or before/after school, visit https://tinyurl.com/46mmevks . Thank you!!
Just a Few Friendly Reminders:
Please review these important reminders:
- All visitors are required to sign in at the office when they enter. Please be sure to have your driver's license or photo ID with you.
- We are a NUT FREE school! Please be sure not to pack nut products in your child's lunch to keep all students safe.
- If your child is absent, please be sure to call the office or email our attendance secretary, Jessica Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please included your child's name, reason for absence, classroom teacher and name of the parent.
- If you have a transportation change for your student on a particular day, please contact the Slate Hill Office (614-450-5000) by 2:15pm to inform us of the change.
- Please pull in the car line when picking up or dropping of your child at school and not park in the parking lot. This helps to keep the line moving if we have less parents walking through the parking lot.
Some students are naturally outgoing whereas others are naturally shy. This world needs to have both types of students. Sometimes, the world forgets that and looks at shyness as a deficit. Below are 5 ways that you can help your child with their shyness.
Stefanee Loges, MA
Licensed Professional School Counselor
Slate Hill Elementary School
As a reminder, if your child has any of the following symptoms, we strongly suggest that you keep them home from school and contact their pediatrician for additional guidance:
Temperature 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher when taken by mouth
New or worsened cough
New onset severe headache
Shortness of breath
Loss of taste or smell
Vomiting or diarrhea
If your student has COVID-19 symptoms, you can pick up a test from your school's office.
Ready For Reading
Slate Hill Elementary is looking for volunteers to build reading skills with kindergarten students. Even if you only have 30 minutes a week, our kindergarten students would love to welcome you! Read below for more information and click HERE or on the flyer to register. Following registration, a program coordinator from our school will be in touch with more information.
Becoming a Volunteer in Worthington Schools!
1. Volunteer has lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must complete an online background check, click Volunteer Background Check (https://www.worthington.k12.oh.us/Page/3014) to access the form. When Approved, receive a Volunteer Badge in the mail from BIB/Secure Volunteer. (Form can also be found on our District Website under Quick Links - Volunteer Background Check)
2. Volunteer has not Lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment.
1. Volunteer wants to chaperone an overnight trip OR supervise students without a teacher present - Schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment. Cost: $50
Care After School is Hiring!
We are reaching out to share a job opportunity within the Worthington School District. We are Care After School, a self-funded non-profit that provides after school care to children in the eleven Worthington elementary schools. We currently have Recreation Leader ($15/hour) openings to start as early as next week. Hours 2-6 pm, M-F and we operate when school is in session (End time can be flexible after 5 if needed). Your elementary school-age child(ren) may attend CAS at no charge.
Check us out at careafterschool.com and apply online at your convenience.
Call or email Kathy or Leslie with any questions.
Assistant Director/Hiring Manager Leslie Rubinoski, email@example.com, 614-431-2266 ext. 225.
Director Kathy Rayner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-431-2266 ext. 222.
Slate Hill Elementary School
Follow us on Instagram! @slatehillstars