Points of Pride (Week of March 1)
Alief ISD Spotlights, Communications and Announcements
More than 350 Alief ISD students were named recipients of the Regional Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.
Alief ISD students won 49 Gold Keys, 155 Silver Keys and 152 Honorable Mentions in art and writing in this annual contest, which is regionally sponsored by the Harris County Department of Education (HCDE).
Kerr High School student Natalie Dinh was also nominated for the American Voices Award for her writing. Only five writing pieces are selected as best of show from approximately 9,000 HCDE regional entries, and each nominee will receive a cash award of $250. From the pool of five, a panel of jurors in New York City will then select one writer from each region to receive an American Voices Medal, a non-financial highest regional honor. These medalists are celebrated during national events and at the national exhibition in New York City.
Congratulations to the following Gold Key winners who will go on to compete at the national level -
- Albright Middle School - Adrian Alas, Muhammad Annas, Iris Hoang-Dugan, Megan Luong, Jessica Nguyen, Jacob Ordonez, Alisha Rahman, Owen Salgado and Christina Trieu
- Alief Middle School - Yael Plascencia Ruiz
- Holub Middle School - Victor Van
- Killough Middle School - Anh Dinh
- O'Donnell Middle School - Umniyah Alzween, Ohi Ashraf, Thu Bui and Angela Hoang
- Olle Middle School - Jonathan Ajanel, Joana Alcala and An Nguyen
- Elsik Ninth Grade Center - Karla Ortez
- Elsik High School - Latifah Adesina, Ijeoma Aka, Tamia Bradford, Tashfa Khan and Asiah Williamson-Lucas
- Hastings Ninth Grade Center - Ti'Ana Andrews
- Hastings High School - Kayla Garcia, La'Zavia Joseph, Kevin Landin, Jasmeen Lemons, Thao Nguyen, Jahnae Oliver, Juanita Omeje and Kenia Parra
- Kerr High School - Natalie Dinh, Keyana Holton, Juan Lopez, Jessica Nguyen and Kimberly Nguyen
- Taylor High School - Joanna Nguyen-Tran, Sefiat Ologundudu, Sofia Santana and Viet Tran
Art: Gold Key winners are listed below with their award-winning art.
Scholastic Art Gold Key Winners
Four Elsik High School students created artworks that were selected for the 2021 National K12 Ceramic Exhibition by juror Marge Levy from a pool of 668 total entries.
District 23-6A All-District Boys Basketball Results
- Offensive MVP - Peter McKey (Hastings)
- 2nd Team All-District - Isaiah Monroe (Elsik), Cam’Ron Martel (Elsik) and Christopher Agbator (Elsik)
O'Donnell Middle School teacher Pratia Jordan was named the recipient of the State Farm Teacher Assist Grant.
Jordan, who teaches 8th Grade History and AVID, will receive $2,500, which will be used for a project-based learning initiative. Her students will use, explore, and create virtual and augmented reality worlds connected to the content they are learning.
Only 200 teachers across the country are selected for this grant, which aims to help educators meet the challenges of teaching during the pandemic.
We are spotlighting the great ways that students, families and staff are going above and beyond.
Racial Injustice - How to Champion Youth to Affect Change
Superintendent HD Chambers speaks with Krystal Williams, Alief Taylor High School Government Teacher. They discuss the history of race relations in the United States, Alief ISD students' perspectives and how we as a nation can move forward to ensure life, liberty and justice for all citizens.