Year 1 Newsletter
Time is flying by...
As always, the year 1 team are are more than happy to answer any questions so please do not hesitate to talk to one of us.
Our new topic
Over the Autumn term children will write poetry, stories, labels, lists, instructions and posters. These will be taught through the key texts of Little Red Hen and The Way Home by Jill Murphy. A big focus will also be on improving sentences focusing on punctuation and them making sense. Children will also have daily phonics sessions and handwriting and a weekly visit to the school's library.
This half term we will be learning to recognise coins and their value. We will also learn to add coins to make a total. We will also be learning place value and using the dienes to help us.
We will be learning what an algorithm is and recording our own. We are also learning about Louis Braille and how and why he invented Braille. In science we will be learning about materials and their properties.
Dates for your diary
Friday 18th November - Children in Need. Dress up in spotty clothing. A donation of £1 will be kindly received.
Wednesday 30th November - PTA Film Evening - Children can stay after school (15:10 until 16:30) to watch a film with squash and popcorn.*Pay £1 to the class teacher on the morning of the disco.
Monday 5th Dec and Tuesday 6th Dec- Christmas Play Year 1 2.00pm start (ticket availability will follow).
Tuesday 13th December - Winter Craft Afternoon for Parents 2.15 - 3.00
Thursday 15th December - Santa Visit to School (more info to follow)
Monday 12th December - Christmas Fayre.
Friday 16th December - last day of the half term
How can you help?
Investiagte materials around your home and discuss what that object is made from that material.
We will be sending home Christmas Nativty play lines for some of your children soon. Please practise this with them.
Practice the spellings sent home.
Here are some links to useful sites where your child can learn from home.
- Forest phonics http://www.ictgames.com/forestPhonics/forestPhonicsOnline/index.html
- Cna you read these words? http://www.ictgames.com/phonemePatterns/index.html
- Place value - what number is being shown? http://www.ictgames.com/partition.html
- Go shopping1 Can you choose the right coins? http://www.ictgames.com/payForIt/index.html
- Sort the materials http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/scienceclips/ages/5_6/sorting_using_mate_fs.shtml
- Learn about Braille. Can you write your own message? http://www.ictgames.com/topic/brailleBuilder/index.html