Gamble/Charland 4th Grade News
What we're up to...
We began our unit on geometry this week. The kids are loving it! Right now we are focusing primarily on geometry vocabulary. Please make sure your students are able to define and create/label the following terms: point, line, line segment, ray, right angle, acute angle, obtuse angle, vertex, parallel lines, and perpendicular lines. We will continue working with angles as we learn how to use our protractors (YAY!) to measure and create all different types of angles! While we are taking a break from numbers and operations, please continue to practice multiplication/division facts at home so they stay fresh!
We are wrapping up our unit on Rocks and Minerals before moving into Magnets and Electricity. The last part of the unit allows us to identify different minerals using the scratch test and looking at Mohs Hardness Scale to see just how hard different minerals are. We will "charge up" with electricity in a few weeks!
We are finishing our nonfiction unit with a culminating research project! The kids selected a research topic (most are places or animals) as well as completed a K-W-L chart about the topic. The chart was designed to help each student brainstorm numerous research questions they will be able to use as a guide for their research. We plan to conduct our research next week while spending the following week with the writing, revising and editing process.
The kids will begin their "middle of the year" reading assessments next week. We are expecting great growth from each and every student!
Lastly, each student has a spelling word list consisting of 21 words. Our spelling assessments are every other week, with our next assessment scheduled for Friday, January 15. Please check your child's agenda for the most current spelling list.
The classes are finishing up the North Carolina government unit. The majority of our time was spent discussing the roles and responsibilities of each branch of our State government while tackling the State Constitution as a nonfiction document. We will continue to grapple with this very important document throughout the upcoming weeks with a few project-based learning scenarios.
Updates and Reminders
- A parent information meeting will be held NEXT THURSDAY, January 14th from 5-5:45 in the media center. This meeting will outline the itinerary for the trip as well as answer any questions. We will also send out the powerpoint from the meeting the following day if you are unable to attend!
- The dates of the trip are Tuesday, April 26-Wednesday, April 27.
- The cost of the trip is $160. Both students and chaperones must pay the $160 fee.
- A $40 deposit is due by January 22nd from both students and chaperones. The remaining balance must be paid by March 18th.
- The Science Fair is Thursday, January 14th.
- Students must also bring in a "report" with their project. I would like for them to take all information on their Science Boards (question, background information, hypothesis, data, conclusions, etc.) and compile it into one word document. They will turn in this word document to me on the same day they turn in their board. There will be no reflection piece needed in their reports (they will reflect in class). Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!
Case-21 Quarterly Testing
- We will be taking our quarterly Case-21 benchmarks tests next Tuesday, January 12 and Wednesday, January 13. While the tests do not count towards grades, they are a great way to practice for the EOGs. Please make sure your child eats a good breakfast and arrives at school on time!
Hallway Display Help
- Please let me know if you will be able to help laminate/cut/tape our next Hallway Display up during the week of January 25th! Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Symphony Field Trip
- Be on the lookout for a permission form for your child to attend the NC Symphony on Thursday, January 21st!
Help! We are in need of...
- Emergency snack (preferably individually wrapped snacks)
- Expo Dry erase board cleaner
- Dry erase markers
- Blue Print Paper for our next Hallway Display