Measuring What Matters
Soft Skills Made Visible | Tech Forum Edition
Link to this https://www.smore.com/bg57
Who we are
Activity: What do you want your students to be like?
- Login to our backchannel at https://todaysmeet.com/softskills2
- Type your name and select "Join"
- Type a message and then select "Say"
- Think about what you want your students to be like-- include any thoughts, adjectives, examples, anecdotes or other things that come to mind. Submit as many as you would like.
- If you are a parent-it may also be helpful to frame the question as: What do I want my children to be like?
- Read your peers thoughts in the backchannel- think about which stood out to you and why? Discuss with those around you while we are waiting for others to finish their thoughts.
What employers are saying
Activity: Missing Soft Skills
- Go to student.infuselearning.com (open in a new tab)
- Room ID: 50877
- Part I : Draw a circle around the skill from this list that is most important to student success in the real world.
- Part II: Draw a visual representation of a skill you think should be added to this list
Activity: Discussion-Are we measuring what we hope to see?
What makes you say that?
What activities and fields can encourage soft skill development?
20 Mile March: Soft Skill Development
1.Understand the why
2. Common lexicon
3. Celebrate & Share
There are lots of resources relating to these topics... so here are a few if you want to explore further. We would love to continue the conversation beyond today so feel free to reach out to us via Twitter, Email, or however you prefer to communicate.
Visible Thinking Resources
- A link to a couple more curated links: http://www.visiblethinkingpz.org/VisibleThinking_html_files/06_AdditionalResources/06a_AdditionalResources.html
- Books: Making Thinking Visible , Ron Ritchhart
Soft Skills Resources
- (Warning- research heavy but very interesting study regarding skills engineering students need beyond the cognitive ones) http://www.herdsa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/conference/2003/PDF/HERDSA31.pdf