Special Edition Principal's Post
Parents and Students
PRINCIPAL'S WELCOME BACK MESSAGE
It is a pleasure to welcome all of our F2F students back into the building this week! The extensive preparation and planning put into making the school re-entry process safe and welcoming is a testament to the care and commitment of all VES staff. Safety measures have been put into place and we will continue to enforce The Three W's:
- Wear your mask!
- Wash your hands!
- Watch your distancing!
We will reinforce these practices each day during morning announcements. It is important to remember that it takes all of us to make this work! Please continue to follow the 3 W's outside of school as well. What takes place outside of school, greatly affects what happens in our school once students and teachers return each day. Remember, safety is everyone's responsibility!
Once students return for face-to-face learning, teachers will implement synchronous, concurrent teaching. With simultaneous teaching, teachers will instruct virtual and face-to-face learners at the same time. This is a new method of teaching and learning for everyone, and we ask for your patience as we navigate the process of meeting the needs of all learners. Thank you so much for your support and flexibility as we prepare to open our school doors and create a new normal for school. We look forward to a safe reopening, and I can't wait to greet your child as they enter our school building!
Welcome Back Students
Re-Opening of School
- We expect an increase in car ridership. Therefore, parents should expect extended wait times in morning/ afternoon carpool and dismissal of walkers. We will implement new dismissal procedures that promote social distancing. Our priority is to dismiss students safely rather than quickly. Your patience is appreciated.
- As we prepare for the return of Pre-K-2nd grade students this week, parents should use the carpool near the Dunwoody High School for morning drop off and afternoon pick up. This carpool lane is also the staff parking lot.
- Be sure to send your child to school with a FULLY charged DCSD chromebook, charger, headphones, water bottle, and school supplies.
- Update: DCSD has installed a new guest network which will allow students to bring their personal devices to school.
- Masks are required! Be sure your child's mask fits properly and securely. Face gaiters are not allowed. We do not recommend masks with exhale valves. If your child comes to school with a mask that does not fit properly, a face gaiter, or a mask with exhale valves, we will provide them with a DCSD issued mask.
- Parents/Visitors are not allowed in the building for lunch, classroom visits, etc. Please ensure your child has everything they need before they leave home each morning.
- Reminder that March 12th is an early release day for students. The Virtual Learning day will end at 11:30 a.m.
***** If your child is ill or exhibiting any COVID-like symptoms, please do not send them to school! ******
- PreK-2nd grade students will return on Tuesday, March 9th (Cohort A) and Thursday, March 11th (Cohort B).
- 3rd-5th grade students will return on Monday, March 15th (Cohort A) and Thursday, March 18th (Cohort B).
For our Return to Face-to-Face Instruction, students will be split into two cohorts: Cohort A and Cohort B. Cohorts have been arranged so that classes are balanced. Please follow the cohort schedule given to you by your child's teacher.
Cohort information was sent out on last week directly from your child's teacher. Please plan accordingly based on your child's cohort. Students may attend school only on their assigned cohort day. If your child comes on the wrong day, parents will be contacted for pickup. On the day that your child is not at school for in-person learning, they should join their classes online for virtual learning.
If you have any questions regarding your child's cohort, please contact your homeroom teacher.
Our Vanderlyn Elementary School Reopening Plan can be found below. Please review this plan so you are aware of all safety measures we are taking from the time a student enters our school until the time they leave. We look forward to safely reopening and welcoming students back.
COHORT STUDENT SCHEDULES FOR MARCH AND APRIL
DCSD SAFE REOPENING PLAN: PHASES TWO AND THREE
Please note the district disclaimer on page one of the document below.
DCSD Disclaimer: The staggered schedule (that you see within the document below and pictured above) may differ by region depending on the number of students who are returning for in-person learning. The staggered schedule will be revisited as reopening progresses.
2020-2021 BUS ROUTES
DCSD will provide bus transportation for students who return face-to-face. Bus routes can be found on the district website. Masks are required on school buses.
SCHOOL LUNCH MENU FOR MARCH
Please click below to see the lunch menu for March. Students who return for in-person learning will have a cold or hot option for lunch.
If your child will return F2F and needs to have medication administered at school, please download the form below and have your physician complete it. On the first day back to school, please place the form and medication in a ziploc bag clearly labeled with your child's first/last name. Parents should inform the teacher and the clinic assistant, Ms. Sumi, that these items are in your child's book bag, and we will be sure to retrieve them.