Assistive Technology for Windows
Narrator: A Text-to-Speech Tool
What can you do with the Narrator tool?
This text-to-speech assistive technology tool reads the text on your screen aloud! Some tool options are:
- Choose what Narrator reads aloud
- Use keyboard shortcuts to specify text
- Change preferences of Narrator's voice, speed, volume, and pitch
- Hear background events, announcements and "echos" of what you type
- Keep it minimized when the tool is turned on
Check out the video below to learn more about Narrator's functions!
Windows 7 Narrator Tutorial
How can the Narrator tool be used in the classroom?
- Assist English Language Learners
- Assist special education students with Text-to-Speech accommodations
- Help proofread student writing
- Allow auditory learners to hear text aloud
- Help with reading fluency
- Allow early literacy students to visualize the text and hear it read aloud
- Fulfill Listening Common Core State Standards
- Generate interest in the topic
- Promote computer skills and assistive technology
LasellIT (2014). Windows 7 narrator tutorial. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ropou-b-PY.
Microsoft Accessibility (2015). Retrieved from https://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windows7/.