Dolphin Parent Connection
October 2018 Volume 4, Issue 2
Boosterthon Mystery Fun Run...Save the Date 10/31/18
Parents, once again this year, our school's main fundraiser is the Boosterthon Mystery Fun Run! This two-week program kicks off with a Pep Rally on Monday, October 22nd. Families will then gather pledges from family and friends for every lap your student runs (30-35 laps), and we’ll celebrate at the Fun Run on Wednesday, October 31st. This will be "Spooktacular" fun. With our big goal of raising $25,000 for new classroom furniture, additional enrichment opportunities and field trips, supplemental classroom resources like RazKids and Flocabulary, continued new selections in our guided reading library, and access to additional STEM resources, we asked the Fun Run experts at Boosterthon to power our Fun Run and make it easier, more profitable, and more fun.
Students will also experience an amazing character theme, MINDSPARK MYSTERY LAB! Boosterthon’s most exciting theme yet combines S.T.E.A.M skills (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) with character-building. While they're teaming up with the MindSpark Kids to solve mysteries, our students will learn five 21st-century character traits that will help strengthen themselves and our world. So please consider helping our school by reaching out to sponsors. Also, all families are invited to come out and cheer on your student at the Fun Run! See the calendar for specific grade level times. Thank you for your support!
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
October is Virginia Disability History & Awareness Month and National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month
· Tuesday, October 2nd: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 3rd: Vision/Hearing Screening for all Kindergarten and 3rd Graders
· Thursday, October 4th: Fall Picture Day
· Thursday, October 4th: 5th Grade Gifted Screening
· Thursday, October 4th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Friday, October 5th: 4th Grade IPT Make-up Day
· Week of October 8th: Fire Prevention Week & National Lunch Week
· Monday, October 8th: Virtual Learning Day--No school for students. Students complete assignments at home.
· Tuesday, October 9th: Progress reports issued for select students
· Tuesday, October 9th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 9th: SCA Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 11th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 16th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 16th: SCA Meeting & Installation Practice @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 16th: Navigating the Journey Resource Fair (Virginia Beach Convention Center) @ 5:30-8:00 PM
· Thursday, October 18th: SCA Installation Ceremony @ 9:00 AM
· Thursday, October 18th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 18th: Lucky Oyster Cashola Night @ 4:00-8:00 PM
· Friday, October 19th: PBIS School-wide Assembly @ 9:00 AM and 1:45 PM
· Friday, October 19th: SCA Parents Night Out 6:00-9:00 PM
· Week of October 22nd: America's Safe Schools Week & National School Bus Safety Week
· Monday, October 22nd: Boosterthon Fun Run Kick-off Pep Rally (times vary by grade)
· Tuesday, October 23rd: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 25th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Monday, October 29th: Federal Cards go home
· Tuesday, October 30th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 31st: Mystery Fun Run (2nd, 3rd, and AM K at 9:40 AM); (4th & 5th at 10:50 AM); (1st & PM K at 12:15 PM)
· Thursday, November 1st: Rain Date for Mystery Fun Run
· Thursday, November 1st: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 2nd: Federal Cards due back
· Monday, November 5th: End of Marking Period 1
· Tuesday, November 6th: Virtual Learning Day--No school for students. Students complete assignments at home.
· Wednesday, November 7th: Beginning of Marking Period 2
Not Receiving Text Messages?
How do I know if I have Opted-in?
You can check if you are opted-in by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587.
How do I opt-out?
You may opt-out at any time by texting “STOP” to 67587.
What if I opted-out but later decide I would like to opt-in again?
As long as your child’s school has your text-enabled phone number on record, you may request to begin receiving text messages by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587. If the school does not have your text-enabled number on record, you will need to contact the school.
See full FAQ at https://www.vbschools.com/about_us/contact_us/text_messaging
Red Mill has decided to run a Pearl Home Campaign in order to gain points towards the coveted Pearl School Award given by Lynnhaven River NOW to schools that demonstrate excellence in Stewardship, Environmental Education and Sustainability.
The Pearl Home program is run by Lynnhaven River NOW to reward families and individuals that live in Virginia Beach that are doing things to help us clean up the waterways.
You can go to our website http://www.lynnhavenrivernow.org/pearl-homes/ and fill in either the Single Family Home or Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application online. Please complete #2 listing your school as Red Mill Elementary so that you will receive your flag or magnet and Red Mill will earn credit for your application. For the Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application, you have the choice of a flag or magnet. Make sure you indicate which you would like. Both applications list things that you can do that will make a difference; just check off those things that you are doing or have done in the past year. If you are able to check off at least 15 items (for home owners) or 10 items (for multi-family dwellings), you will receive your choice of a beautiful garden flag and stand or a magnet that you can place on your door. You will be contacted in November after the flags and magnets have been delivered to the school. Thank you for making our water cleaner and healthier for future generations.
School Counseling Program Notes
October is National Bullying Prevention Month, and our classroom lessons will focus on this topic from the perspective of the target, aggressor, and bystander. Students will learn strategies to report and address bullying behavior, transforming them from bystanders to UPstanders.
We need your help! The School Counseling department is conducting a needs assessment to better serve students. Please take a moment to complete the survey at bit.ly/RMNeeds and let us know your thoughts – we can’t wait to read your responses!
Please feel free to contact me by phone (648-3572) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or concerns.
- The PTA Reflections contest is coming up soon. This national art contest encourages students to explore the arts and express themselves. This year’s theme is “Heroes Around Me.” Entries from all grades and all abilities are welcome. The entry categories are dance, film, essay, music, photography and art. Entries are due October 26. Please see the link for detailed information and contact Maribel Cabrera with any questions: https://bit.ly/2N5zvWr email@example.com.
Wednesday, October 31st is our Red Mill Fun Run! On the morning of the race every student will receive a fun run t-shirt bought with funds raised from local business sponsors and with original art from a Red Mill student. Additionally, all parents are welcome and encouraged to come out and cheer on our students! Before the actual fun run, we will hold the fundraiser portion of this event. Pledges from family and friends go a long way toward helping Red Mill Elementary offer enrichment opportunities, purchase new furniture and equipment, and provide supplemental instructional materials and resources. More details coming soon.
Are you familiar with “High School is Cool” or "Dolphin Academy?" They are short-term enrichment programs held after school. RMES has an amazing coordinator, Terry Ann Stevens; however, we need an assistant chairperson to help her this year and to take over the program next school year! Please consider this or share with someone who may be interested. For more information, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Would you like to see more after-school clubs at Red Mill? We are looking for volunteers to help with a variety of clubs. It could be a chess club, a LEGO club, garden club, foreign language club, WordMasters, or others. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help or know someone who can.
Turkey Bingo will be held Friday, November 16, so please mark your calendars. It is a great time, and we hope you can attend. Just beforehand, we will hold a brief PTA meeting.
The PTA is still accepting membership forms! Thank you to all parents, grandparents, and staff members who have joined. If you have yet to join, please do so as soon as possible. The cost for membership is $5.00 per member. We would like to reach 100% membership this year. Our local PTA funds go right back to your children. Get involved, stay informed, connect with parents, and make your voice heard! All Red Mill families are welcome! Membership form attached below.
As always, the PTA is still collecting Box Tops labels. Every year our school has earned over $1000 on these simple collections. These labels would just be thrown away or recycled, so why not clip them and help your school at the same time. We have mailboxes set up in the school foyer for collection. You can put them in a plastic bag or envelope.
Our Winter Wonderland is scheduled for Saturday, December 8th. We are currently accepting vendor applications for the craft event. If you are a vendor or know of a vendor that would like to be a part of our show, please have them contact Jen Cardona at email@example.com. If you know a business interested in donating an item or service to the Winter Wonderland silent auction, please contact Whitney Kochheiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are always looking for help in the copy room. If you aren’t already trained, but are interested in helping, please email Anna Campbell at email@example.com. Here is October’s SignUp Genius link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054ba4ae2ea4fb6-october
Securly Parent Portal
Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) is excited to announce the addition of Securly Parent Portal, a web-filtering tool offering parental controls and reports on division-issued devices.
After a successful field-test at several schools, VBCPS will now offer all parents the option to use Securly to monitor how their children are using their school-issued devices. Parents will be able to view online activity outside of the classroom, such as sites browsed, social media use and activity, and items searched.
Parents must sign up to receive weekly Securly emails that will include detailed information about their children’s internet activity on school-issued devices. Parents will also have the ability to customize what their children can do and see on their devices while at home and, specifically, allow or deny access to specific sites and categories. Additionally, the software also contains a cyberbullying and self-harm detection feature. An email was sent to all Virginia Beach school families with additional info and resources regarding Securly on Wednesday, September 26th.
Questions about the Securly Parent Portal should be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. For content related questions (e.g. sites allowed or blocked, search results, etc.), contact the Department of Technology Help Desk at 757-263-1111.
Federal Cards Coming Soon
On October 29th, your child will be bringing home the Impact Aid Federal Card. Impact Aid was designed to assist school divisions that lose out on tax revenue due to tax-exempt federal property within their boundaries. Due to our high military affiliation in Virginia Beach, our school division is greatly impacted. Please help us receive vital funding that benefits ALL students in Virginia Beach City Public Schools by promptly completing and returning your Federal Card. Cards should be returned no later than November 2nd. Please see the attached letter for more details or visit www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oese/impactaid/. If you have questions about how to complete your Federal Card, please contact Mrs. DiCroce in the main office at 648-3560. No individual student or parent employment information is submitted on this report to the federal government. Thank you for your cooperation!
Please see below for important dates and application deadlines. If you have any questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Red Mill's Gifted Resource Teacher at email@example.com
Grade Level Screenings:
- 5th grade gifted screening (all 5th grade students) Thursday, October 4
- 1st grade gifted screening (all 1st grade students) Tuesday, November 27
ODS Parent Information Nights:
- Current 5th grade students--January 3, 2019 5:30 p.m.
- Current Grades 1-4--January 8, 2019 5:30 p.m.
Gifted Application & Deadlines (all applications due by 4:00 p.m. on deadline date)
- Gifted Identification (current grades 2-12) application deadline November 13, 2018
- Dance Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- Visual Arts Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- ODS (current grades 2-7) application deadline February 1, 2019
- All 1st grade referrals (current grade 1) application deadline March 1, 2019
Fuel Up to Play 60
Fuel Up to Play 60, the nation’s largest in-school wellness program, encourages students from all communities to take the lead in living healthier lifestyles through good nutrition and physical activity. Did you know that Red Mill Elementary is a Fuel Up to Play 60 school? And you can support your children as they participate in this great program!
Fuel Up to Play 60 is a free program from the National Dairy Council and the National Football League, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It’s in more than 73,000 schools nationwide and encourages students to eat healthy and get at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day.
Fuel Up to Play 60 is fun for students, with opportunities to earn points and rewards like NFL prizes — you should encourage your children to participate! The program needs your children to get involved in creating a healthier school environment that promotes student health, learning and achievement. Your children can take the lead in activities and earn points to become an Ambassador.
We will be holding our kickoff event during P.E. on October 5th. The P.E. staff will introduce the program to students and walk them through how to sign up. Students are encouraged to go home and log in/sign up with their parents.
There are two ways to sign in:
1. Follow the link in your Schoology under your child’s P.E. course.
2. GO TO: https://www.fueluptoplay60.com/
Once you are on the website:
CHOOSE: “Join FUTP 60 Now”
Choose a username (do not use your real name) and password.
Look around and complete plays. Once you have completed a play make sure you type the following into the team spot: RED MILL DOLPHINS
Red Mill Is Looking For A Few Good Men & Women
Upcoming Art Contests
VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION FOR PUPIL TRANSPORTATION
POSTER CONTEST THEME: Red Lights Mean STOP! Due April 30, 2019
(see attached flyer for complete details)
THE ART OF BEING A MILITARY CHILD CITYWIDE ART CONTEST AND CELEBRATION
Due Friday, Dec. 14.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RELATED TO BEING A MILITARY CHILD
Topics include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cultures You’ve Experienced
- Military Lifestyle
- Your Wishes, Hopes and Dreams
- The Life Lessons You’ve Learned
See attached flyer for complete details.
If you have any questions, please contact Morgan Knight, art teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make Payments
- Set up Auto Pay
- Set Purchase Restrictions
- Get Low Balance Alerts
- Submit Applications
- View Purchases
- View Menus