Dear Students & Families,
A few quick things that will help us finish the year strong.
- Students, please be sure to find your yellow tape, blue dot or chair in the commons during passing period. With more students in person we have to keep working to stay social distanced.
- Please do your best to arrive around 8:45 to allow time to get checked in before class begins. Last week we had a lot of students arrive at 8:55 and the lines got backed up making students late for class.
- We understand masks are uncomfortable, but as a school district we have been very clear that students must be masked while on campus. Please help us meet the expectations given to us to enforce.
- We cannot allow students who are absent to zoom into classes. Only students who are fully remote or required to quarantine can zoom in.
- Stay focused on academics! Grades will be complete before you know it. Keep those grades up!
Happy Mothers Day to all our Hawk Moms!
- May 3rd - May 17th - AP Testing
- May 13th-15th & May 20th-22nd - HHS Theater Presents You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
- May 18th - AP Parent Information Night
- May 31st - No School Memorial Day
- June 4th & 7th - Senior Finals
- June 8th & 9th - Seniors Model UN
- June 8th - Band Concert
- June 9th - Baccalaureate
- June 10th - Senior Awards Night
- June 11th - Senior Breakfast, Graduation Rehearsal & Graduation
- June 14th & 15th - Finals for Grades 9-11
- June 16th - Last Day of School - This is an asynchronous day. So it will be used for students to make their final push to get assignments turned in.
April E.E.E. Students of the Month
- Engaged - Students that take an active role in their education and are deeply engaged in the learning.
- Empathetic - Students that show caring towards their classmates and school staff.
- Endurance - Students that stick with difficult problems and show resilience when things don't go well.
Students of the month:
- Arts = Gavin Hubler - Gavin has been a phenomenal leader within the trumpet section of both bands he is in, as well as in his role as Band Council President. His willingness to put forth the extra hours to improve band morale and mentor younger members of his bands and sections has been invaluable over the course of this year.
- Bonus = Liam Soot and Isabella Tucker - Liam and Isabella have been volunteering with middle schoolers this year running dungeons & dragons games. It takes a lot of work and dedication, and they have been very generous with their time to develop the game. Both have been very patient and kind with the younger students.
- CTE = Deena Lee - Deena is positive, motivated and a hard worker. Her forms are always turned in early and are filled out neatly and easy to read (unlike many I receive). She is respected by her supervisor for the quality work she does.
- English = Angel Olin - Angel demonstrates exceptional commitment to her ELA learning activities each day. She initiates independent work and is a solid team player within collaborative learning activities. Angel is receiving this award based on her dedication to learning, consistent efforts, and kindness towards others.
- Health & PE = Daniel Fedorenko - Daniel engages in each and every lesson with curiosity and dedication to understanding the why of the concepts. As his teacher, this takes the classroom discussions to a depth and breadth while he encourages his classmates to share and interconnect. He creates a family atmosphere in the classroom that is a joy to teach. He turns in all his work, rallies the class to follow directions with humor and fun. I appreciate his energy in my class and I enjoy his dedication to the academic detail.
- HVA = Dalaney Rose - Dalaney consistently worked hard to fully answer questions and complete the Spanish 2 course. Her thoughtful answers reflect how she meaningfully applied Spanish to her life and her academic goals. Her being able to complete all her courses in May reflects her perseverance, tenacity, and dedication to her academic pursuits. ¡Brava!
- Math = William Starke - Ever since coming back in person, William has been doing such great work in Algebra 1! He's been really engaged & focused in class, asks awesome questions, and doesn't just stop at "kinda getting it"... he wants to get an even better & deeper understanding.
- Science = Parker Bruning - Parker is excelling in Physics this semester. He has yet to miss an assignment and is understanding relationships between concepts. Gaining the ability to link what you have learned previously and apply it to your new learning is an important skill that can be transferred to many different applications.
- Social Studies = Ryker Kitchen - Ryker comes to class everyday with a positive attitude and always contributes to meaningful discussion of historical topics. He is attentive, punctual, and always does his best to produce quality work. He is a great student and person, and I really enjoy his presence in my class.
- World Languages =Taylor Mueller - Her maturity, positive attitude, hard work and warm, friendly personality make Taylor a pleasure to work with.
AP (Advanced Placement) Information Night
If you would like more information before our presentation you can find it at this website.
Class of 2021 Graduation
At this point, we are planning on an outdoor graduation. This will be new for us, but should work well. We are very excited to celebrate the Class of 2021.
Celebrating HHS Seniors on Facebook
We have been working on ways to celebrate our graduating class in our community this spring. One way we would like to celebrate is to highlight as many of the Class of 21 as possible on our district social media pages (Facebook and Instagram) in the month leading up to graduation, featuring your photograph and some short quotes.
Students, respond to this questionnaire and send our District Communications Director Amelia Holmes (firstname.lastname@example.org) a school-appropriate photo of yourself that we can include with your response by Thursday, May 20th. Please make sure your photo is of high quality (larger than 100kb). If you have trouble meeting this deadline, let me know and we will work something out.
HHS 2021 Graduate Questionnaire
What is your favorite HSD memory?
What's next after graduation (include school or training program name, if applicable)?
Senior Awards Night
Class of 2021 Class Gift
Grad Committee MOD Pizza Fundraiser
On Tuesday, May 11 th , the delicious and generous MOD Pizza (14405 NE Fourth Plain
Blvd.) is donating back 20% of Takeout, Delivery, Drive thru & Pick up orders to support
a great cause -- Hockinson Class of 2021! When ordering in store mention HHS CLASS
OF 2021. Order on-line at: https://orders.modpizza.com/store/4055/Fourth%20Plain USE
Class of 2021 Slide Show Photo Request
Do you have some photos of Hockinson Seniors through the years? The Graduation Committee is collecting all kinds of photos of Seniors from Preschool through 12th grade – with other students of any ages - for the Senior Slideshow. The slideshow will be shown at the Senior Breakfast and at the Graduation Night Party! Please send your submissions to email@example.com. Deadline is June 1
You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
A little bit of Broadway comes back to Hockinson! The Hockinson HS Theatre Company returns to the stage after more than a year with their production of the musical "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" (masked edition) running May 13, 14, 20, 21, 22 at 7:00 (May 15 at 3:00). This light-hearted, family-friendly musical will delight audiences of every age
How do I purchase tickets? Go to the link below. Select the show date(s), select your seats, and follow the directions for purchasing. There is a small fee associated with this service, which is attached at the end of the transaction, but all proceeds go to the HS Drama ASB! Please note: purchasing tickets online is the ONLY way to purchase tickets using credit or debit cards. All tickets purchased at the door are cash/check only. There are NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES FOR TICKETS (we do not have the logistics available for this - this is the drawback of using an online ticketing system with our district's limited resources.) Tickets are limited to 10 tickets per purchase as Covid restrictions require groups must not exceed 10 (but you can have another group sit 6 feet from you....) Patrons with limited mobility should purchase tickets in row A. These seats are on the floor directly in front of the risers and are indicated with a wheelchair accessible icon in the seating chart. The location of the pit is on the front left side of the floor space.
Bring your ticket with you. It is important everyone brings their tickets with them to the show, either paper or electronic. Tickets will have your assigned seating information, and these will help our ushers help you find your way to your seats. Changing seats will not be an option after your ticket has been purchased. It is incredibly important that you sit in the seat which is on your ticket.
Tickets at the door. Using cash/check only, you will be able to purchase tickets at the door, however tickets are based on availability and with limited seating it is very likely tickets at the door may not be available! It is HIGHLY recommended you purchase your tickets before you arrive!
The link to purchase tickets: https://hockinsonhsdrama.ludus.com/
Join Robotics Team Mean Machine
Here is our website: https://team2471.org
our Twitter: https://twitter.com/MeanMachine2471
our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeanMachine2471
our YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/FRCTeam2471/featured
And our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/2471meanmachine/
The annual spring plant sale wrapped up last week and the band, in partnership with our friends at Neoteric Gardens, raised funds while at the same time providing dozens of families with the best in flower baskets, vegetable starts, and other plants to adorn yards and gardens for months to come. Thank you to our volunteers and community for your support!
This year the Hazel Dell parade is a virtual performance format, featuring our very own Hockinson High School Band. The schools will be recording their performances separately on their own and together, they will be aired on social media and local television on June 12th. For more information on how to watch the video see the association’s website at https://hdscba.org/event/2021-hazel-dell-parade-of-bands/
Save The Date! The Year End Concert is BACK! We’re so excited to bring back the Year End Concert to Hockinson High School on Tuesday, June 8th. The evening performance will be a limited, in-person as well as live stream event. Follow @hockinsonband on facebook for more details.
It’s not too early to start planning your 4th of July celebration! HHS Band will be selling fireworks again this year. A lot of hard work goes into this very important fundraiser which will support getting back to the activities, performances, and competitions which HHS Band is so well-known for. Please come out and support the HHS Band this Independence Day. Details will be posted @hockinsonband on facebook.