February 2017 Newsletter
February 2017 Update
- The third card marking ends on March 31st, so it is crucial that students maintain their GPAs (3.0 overall for high school, 3.0 in core classes for middle school). Students not meeting the GPA requirement will transition out of the program for next year, but may reapply the following year through 9th grade.
- Many of you are familiar with the Honors Dinner, which is a fantastic event hosted at Western Country Club each May for Thurston Seniors with a 3.5+ GPA. On March 30th, we will be hosting a "Practice Honors Dinner" for all 9th, 10th, and 11th graders with a 3.5 GPA. Although 3.0 is the program requirement, we're big believers in the old adage, "Aim high in case you miss." Details here. You can see who has been invited to the practice dinner by clicking on our Eagle Scholar Display, which sits outside the Thurston Media Center.
- Wednesday, March 1st, Thurston alum and MSU Student will be joining us for a Q & A for Episode #3 of our Guest Speaker Series. See details below.
Travis Wesenberg, Thurston alum, Michigan State sophomore
Study Tips (revisited)
- Make sure your child has a quiet, peaceful place to study Sunday through Thursday.
- Encourage your child to study in 25-30 minute increments broken up by 5 - 10 minute breaks.
- If possible, make sure your child's phone is turned off and in another room.
- Have your child complete "off-line" homework, then online homework.
- If possible, have your child study at a desk, free of clutter, with a desk lamp.
- If your child prefers to study with music, make sure the music is instrumental. Some background here. While students often say "It helps me concentrate," they are often fooling themselves.
- If possible, make sure your child is not in front of any screens one hour before bedtime.
Weekly Study Session
Wednesday in the Media Center 3:15-4:15 pm
Monday - Friday, 7:50-8:20 am
Mondays and Thursdays, 3:15-4:10 pm
Weekly Study Session
Thursdays in the Media Center, 2:45-3:45 pm
After school tutoring
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays in Room 505, ` 2:45 - 3:45 pm
Advisory (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 10:33 - 11:17)
Silent study time on Mondays, travel to your teachers in the classes in which you are struggling on Wednesdays and Fridays)
Pierce and Thurston
Schedule an appointment with Mr. Parsons or Mr. Hughes
Make an appointment at this web address: goo.gl/05Wo2h
Mr. Parsons is an alumnus of the program-class of 2012; he’s been in your shoes and he wants to help! He can help with homework, study skills, organization, etc.
Online Resources for Academic Support
Quizlet: Flash card website with content from every class and level on the academic spectrum
Khan Academy: Free educational videos covering a wide variety of math and science concepts from grade K-12
Hippocampus.org: Free educational videos and tutorials for students struggling with every subject between grades 6-12.
GoConqr: Social media site created for students to connect with other students working on similar topics, and to help each other study and provide tips.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA in core classes
- Display exemplary citizenship
- Complete minimum of 5 hours of community service per academic year
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Participate in at least one extracurricular activity beginning 10th grade
- Take five AP courses (one of which must be AP Lang & Comp)
- Apply to at least four 4-year institutions
- Complete a capstone project