Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
The Varsity Wolves defeated Chaparral 22-10 on the road last Friday. CHS takes on Desert Ridge this Thursday, September 10th at home at 7:00pm.
channel 3 and channel 12 visit chs
The Wolves participated in televised segments for Channel 3 and Channel 12 last Friday. Football players, cheerleaders, drum line and STUCO showed their CHS spirit and propelled CHS on to victory Friday night. Special thanks to Sydney Hess, CHS Student Body President, who jumped in and served as guest reporter for Channel 3.
Freshman Girls Cross Country
The Freshman Girls Cross Country Team won the Chandler Invitational this weekend. Congratulations to Mihajla Milovanovic, Morgan Foster, Becca Taylor and Julia Nichols (pictured below).
Congratulations to the Boys Golf Team for defeating Gilbert, Skyline and Marcos De Niza last week. The team is coached by Jay Troutt.
- Badminton def. Basha 7-2
- Freshman Football def. Chaparral 66-0
this week's home events
- Tuesday, 9/8: Girls Tennis vs Xavier @ 3:30 pm; Girls Volleyball vs Highland @ 4 pm(F), 5 pm (JV), 6 pm (V)
- Wednesday, 9/9: Badminton vs Campo Verde @ 3:30 pm; Freshman Football vs Desert Ridge @ 6 pm
- Thursday, 9/10: Girls Volleyball vs Sunnyslope @ 4 pm (F), 5 pm (JV), 6 pm (V); Varsity Football vs Desert Ridge @ 7:00pm; Swim vs Perry @ 4 pm
- Friday, 9/11: Badminton vs Carl Hayden @ 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, 9/1: F B Football vs. @ 6:00pm
- Thursday, 9/3: F Boys Tennis vs. @ 3:30pm; JV Football vs. @ 6:00pm; Volleyball vs. @ 4:00pm (F), 5:00pm (JV), and 6:00pm (V)
WL STUDENTS VOLUNTEER IN COMMUNITY
The CHS World Language Department had 25 Spanish students volunteer to translate for parent/teacher conferences at Sanborn and Galveston Elementary schools this quarter.
NHS BLOOD DRIVE
National Honor Society hosted its first blood drive of the year last week. NHS students Julie Thamby and Shelby Nelson organized the great event through United Blood Services. NHS’s goal was to have 57 donations; they ended up having 75 willing donors, and 59 were able to successfully donate! With a school as large as Chandler, we can really make an impact; just one donation can help save three lives! The next drive will be on Tuesday, November 24th, and NHS is hoping for at least 75 donations.
This Thursday, September 10th, CHS Choir is hosting the Barbershop Extravaganza at 7:00pm in the CCA. The Men’s Choir, Treblemakers, Chamber Choir and combined choirs will share the stage with the four-time international champion Scottsdale Chorus. This is Choir’s first public performance of the year, and it will be a great event! Adult tickets are $15, and students are $10. We’ll see you at the show!
I NEVER SAW ANOTHER BUTTERFLY
The Chandler High School Theater Department will present the play I Never Saw Another Butterfly on September 15th, 16th, and 17th at 7:00 p.m. at the Chandler Center for the Arts Bogle Theater. Tickets are $7 at the door. The play, which has a cast of 22, and takes place during the Holocaust, is adapted from the book by Celeste Raspanti and is directed by Stephanie Likes, CHS Theater Teacher and Director.
SPIRITLINE TOY DRIVE
CHS Spiritline is sponsoring a toy drive for Phoenix Children's Hospital during September for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Please support this great cause by dropping off new toys and/or blankets to the front office or students’ homerooms.
Chandler High offers dual credit for ALL students who are taking English 11. If a student earns an A, B or C in this class, they will get credit for college freshman English (101 & 102). Next year this offer will NOT be available to students in their English class. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Shaw (812-7731).
U.S. MILITARY ACTIVE STATUS PASS
CUSD BOND FACTS: DID YOU KNOW?
1 - The Chandler Unified School District continues to grow approximately 600 to 1,000 students a year which requires additional classrooms, related furniture, technology and equipment.
2 - Funding is necessary to maintain and protect the District's $683,000,000 investment in existing facilities. Currently the State is only providing the District with $3,069,209 in additional district assistance to help maintain our facilities annually.
For additional information, visit the district website.
Following the 2012 elections, Arizona ranked 45th in the nation for voter turnout. To combat this startling statistic, O’Connor House, the legacy project of Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, has launched a new voter engagement initiative, The Great Voter Challenge. Register to vote here.
“Roughly half of Arizona voters actually vote and that’s frightening. I hope that we can encourage every citizen to register and vote. It’s so important, and Arizona can do better on that score.” - Justice Sandra Day O’Connor
In order to vote in the November election, you must register by October 5, 2015. Ballots will be mailed on October 8, 2015. Election Day is November 3, 2015.
The Early Bird Yearbook Sale will be ending soon, but you can still buy the 2015-16 yearbook for $50.00. The price will increase after September 25th. Payment can be made in the Chandler High Bookstore or online at jostensyearbooks.com.
Leasure Portrait Studio will be on campus at the CCA (Chandler Center for the Arts) Thursday, September 10th in the morning to take a one-time only for those seniors who have NOT yet been to their studio. This will be the last chance for your student to have their photo in the 2015-16 yearbook.
career center news
COLLEGE PRESENTATIONS: Sign up in the Career Center
- Utah State University- Wednesday, 9/9 @ 8:30am
- Embry Riddle- Friday, 9/11 @ 10:00am
- New York University Sunday, 9/13 @ 2:00pm (Off Campus Visit- click on career calendar for details)
- Duke University- Tuesday, 9/15 @ 7:00pm (Regional Presentation at Desert Vista H.S.)
- Northern Arizona University- Wednesday, 9/16 @ 8:30am
- University of Southern California- Wednesday, 9/16 @ 9:30am
- Vanderbilt University- Monday, 9/21 @ 10:00am
- Case Western Reserve University- Tuesday, 9/22 @ 9:00am
- University of Northern Colorado- Greely- Tuesday, 9/22 @ 10:30am
- U of A Honors College- Wednesday, 9/23 @ 8:30am
- University of Chicago- Thursday, 9/24 @ 10:30am
- Oklahoma State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 8:00am
- Colorado State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 9:45am
- University of Oregon- Friday, 9/25 @ 10:30am
- TCU- Friday, 9/25 @ 12:30pm
- Western State University- Friday, 9/25 @ 1:15pm
New presentations are added daily. Visit the Career Center webpage to access the Career Center Calendar and other valuable info.
COLLEGE FAIRS AND SCHOLARSHIP PRESENTATIONS: See the Career Center Calendar or Mrs. Thoren for additional info.
· CUSD College Fair- Monday, 9/21 from 5:45pm-8:00pm at the CCA
· National College Fair- Sunday, 9/27 @11:00am at the Phoenix Convention Center