The Future is Bright
A Proposal for Solar Energy
What is it?
Solar energy is a renewable energy source that can be harnessed by human beings through either passive ways such as simply facing a building towards the sun, or active ways such as using photo-voltaic cells to convert the energy into electricity for our everyday lives. The technique discussed here will primarily concern photo-voltaic cells. Solar energy has seen a surge of popularity over the last decade and can power anything from calculators to stores to even entire cities.
What are photo-voltaic cells?
- No pollution (a solar park can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 20 000 tonnes per year)
- Sunny areas will no longer be reliant on fossil fuels which need to be transported
- Doesn't cost anything after installation
- Requires little to no maintenance
- Many governments offer rebates and tax breaks for users of solar power
- Can be implemented almost anywhere
- No noise pollution
- Only works when the sun is shining (no energy is produced when it is cloudy or dark)
- Relatively inefficient (highest efficiency recorded is 40.7%)
- Requires a high initial investment in the solar panels ( $25000-$30000 for an average house)
- Affected by air pollution