Summit High School
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year!
I am thrilled to be welcoming your student back to school! We have eagerly anticipated the full reopening of our campus.
- The first day of school is Friday, August 6, 2021. Students will return to a five-day-a-week in-person instructional model. Please review our new Bell Schedule here. Please note that every Wednesday is a minimum day for our students.
Now more than ever, a successful school year for all our students will require that we are working together to succeed with the guidelines and procedures necessary due to COVID-19.
Below is brief summary of the updated guidance:
- FUSD will continue to require that face coverings be worn by students and adults indoors in school settings (classroom, MPR, gymnasium, library, etc.).
- Physical distancing is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Continuing layered mitigation strategies like temperature checks, handwashing and respiratory etiquette, staying home when sick and cleaning and disinfection remain critical layers of prevention to keep schools safe.
All students must register to ride the school bus. If your student needs school bus transportation information, please call 909-357-7510.
New to the Fontana Unified School District this school year is the ACCESS (Actively, Creating, Connections, Ensuring, Student Success) program. ACCESS is meant to meet the needs of students seeking to remain in an online learning environment but needing a higher level of teacher support. It is an Independent Study program that offers live, synchronous instruction in a digital classroom. Students in the ACCESS program will mirror a traditional school day and are expected to be actively engaged online during the program hours five days a week. For more information about the ACCESS program, please visit http://www.fusd.net/access
Fontana Unified will continue to offer the Virtual Learning Program (VLP). VLP is geared towards meeting the needs of students that are self-guided, independent learners. Students enrolled in VLP will still be part of their home school, meaning they will continue to be able to participate in athletics and other student activities. Students who are a part of the VLP can take all or some of their classes online. For more information on VLP, please call (909) 357-5000 EXT 29577.
The staff at Summit High School has high expectations for all our students. We have even higher expectations of ourselves. This year, the Summit High School staff will continue to dedicate our focus on improving student learning for all students. We will continue to work diligently through collaboration to discuss teaching strategies to meet the needs of our students. We will improve student learning through improved instruction focusing on aligned curriculum, data collection, and assessment. We are a 2021 California Distinguished school because of the great work of our students, staff, parents, volunteers, and community members. We have built a solid foundation and now continue to add layers of quality to our school!
Here's some upcoming events we have at Summit:
- For our 9th grade parents, our Freshmen Parent Orientation will be TONIGHT Monday, July 26th, at 6:00 PM, in-person, in our Summit Gym. You will need to wear a mask in order to enter. We have lots of important information for you in order to help your 9th grader be successful in high school. You won’t want to miss it.
- Student Business Days begin next week (get your schedules, pick up textbooks, take your ID/yearbook picture, etc.) See below for the flyer if you are interested in ordering school pictures.
- August 2nd – Seniors (see below for times by last name)
- August 3rd – Juniors (see below for times by last name)
- August 4th – Sophomores (see below for times by last name)
- Freshmen Orientation will be held by your last name. Last names A-L is on August 2nd from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM in the Summit High Gym. Last names M-Z is on August 3rd from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM in the Summit High Gym. Students will receive their class schedules, pick-up their textbooks, take their ID/yearbook photo, & get a campus tour from their Link Leaders. Students must stay for the entire day; free lunch is included. See below for the flyer if you are interested in ordering school pictures.
- Laptop distribution for freshmen & new students will be on June 29th and June 30th. In order to check out a laptop you MUST bring the Laptop Agreement form signed by a parent, you can find that form here. You will be able to meet our new Librarian, congratulations to Ms. Tedder. If you need to reach her, you may email her at Mendvi@fusd.net. The schedule is as follows:
Thursday 7/29- Last Name
8:00 to 9:00 a.m. A
9:00 to 10:00 a.m. B-C
10:00 to 11:00 a.m. D-E
11:00 to Noon F-H
1:00 to 2:00 p.m. I-J
2:00 to 3:00 p.m. K-L
Friday 7/30- Last Name
8:00 to 9:00 a.m. M-N
9:00 to 10:00 a.m. N-O
10:00 to 11:00 a.m. Q-R
11:00 to Noon S-T
1:00 to 2:00 p.m. U-W
2:00 to 3:00 p.m. X-Z
- Seniors!! Class of 2022 - the details regarding your senior portrait information will be coming soon.
- Please mark your calendars for Back to School Night on August 17th at 6:00 PM. More information to follow.
- PARENTS! We have a big favor to ask of you. As you know, every year the district office requires parents to do an Annual Student Update. Please help us by getting this done as soon as possible. If your student doesn’t have this form on file, they won’t be able to log-in to their laptop or any other computer. Please see the attachment for more information on how to complete this extremely important form.
Our Counselors are back in the office and can be reached via email. Congratulations to Ms. Buoye who retired. Her replacement is Mr. Ruben Casas!
As always, we are here to support you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Mr. Cerda ASB Director: email@example.com
Ms. Kiggins (AVID): firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Ciprian (A-Cl): email@example.com
Ms. Avila (Co-Ha): firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Gonzalez-Torres (He-Ml): email@example.com
Mr. Murillo (ROJ- Z): firstname.lastname@example.org
Until the new counselor is announced to replace Ms. Buoye please contact the following counselors: Last Names: M -Ms. Gonzalez-Torres Gonzcr@fusd.net ; Last Names: P - Ms. Avila Parkam@fusd.net ; Last Names: N-O -Ms. Ciprian Ciprec@fusd.net ; Last Names: Q-Rog ; Ms. Kiggins Kiggma@fusd.net
Mr. Peterson, Athletic Director: email@example.com
Mr. Lopez, Assistant Principal 9th Grade: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Gambsky, Administrative Designee 10th Grade: email@example.com
Ms. Guerrucci-Pierce, Assistant Principal 11th Grade: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Hannon, Assistant Principal 12th Grade: email@example.com
Ms. Castanon, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need an email that isn’t listed here, please email me at email@example.com and I’ll provide it.
I’m so looking forward to seeing all of you!
Ms. Renee Castanon, Principal
909.357.5950 ext. 15107
Traducción en español
Haga clic en la caja negra de arriba donde dice “Tranlate Newsletter” y escoja español como su idioma.
2021-2022 School Calendar - updated
Important Links for Quick Reference:
Summit High Administrators
12th Grade Assistant Principal
11th Grade Assistant Principal
10th Grade Administrative Designee
9th Grade Assistant Principal
ASB/Student Activities Director
Your Summit SkyHawk Counselors!
Last names: HE - ML
Last names: ROJ - Z
New Counselor TBA
Last names: HE - ML
Last names: ROJ - Z