WILDCAT BI-WEEKLY Newsletter
Come Together! August 27, 2021
Mr. McIntosh, Principal of Upper Allen Elementary
It was so wonderful to welcome so many families to Upper Allen this week to our classroom visitation. It was the first time many of you were able to visit our new and improved facility! For so long, only students and staff have been able to appreciate how beautiful our building has become, so it was a joy to share it with you!
All the staff are excited to welcome our students next week! We've been working to prepare for their return. We'll continue to use our prioritized curriculum and monitor students' progress to support their academic success, while keeping student and staff safety at the forefront.
Please remember we're utilizing a staggered start with half of the class attending school on Monday and Wednesday and the other half attending Tuesday and Thursday (See Important Dates below for more information) This is the perfect way to allow students to acclimate to the school and classroom and get to know their teacher and classmates in a small class size for the first two days.
I hope you find this newsletter a helpful resource. Please note the translation feature in the top right corner that allows you to read the newsletter in any language.
Thanks for your continued support!
Wildcat Bi-Weekly - Access and Info
- Option 1: Email via the Sapphire Information System. Emails are entered into the system when registering students for school. Sapphire sends messages to parents via email who have students attending Upper Allen. If you are receiving this message and you do not have a student attending Upper Allen, you must contact the Registrar's Office 717-691-4517 to be removed from the email list.
- Option 2: FOLLOW - Click the "Follow" button at the bottom of the newsletter to receive a copy as soon as it is edited and published.
- Facebook: Newsletters are published on the Upper Allen PTO Facebook Page. This is also a great place to get PTO updates and to share and receive information.
- Twitter: Follow me on Twitter to receive the newsletter and other insights. John McIntosh @jmcintosh_john
- Twitter added an easy to use translator located at the top right-hand side of the newsletter. Now you can read the newsletter in any language.
Locating "Old" Newsletters
- Newsletters are posted on the Upper Allen Web page and can be accessed at any time.
- Each year we try to improve the Wildcat B-Weekly as a tool to communicate with our families. We welcome your suggestions for improvement.
The World Expo at Upper Allen Elementary
One of the strengths of Upper Allen Elementary is the diversity of its students and families. It may surprise you to learn that the parents of Upper Allen students are native to over 15 different countries speaking at least 10 different languages! Students have grandparents or great grandparents who migrated from lands far away. In addition, many students have ancestors who have lived in the US for many generations and still retain some of the traditions native to a particular country. Having such a diverse student population helps our students to value and gain appreciation for others who may look, talk or dress differently from them or their family.
Do you think you might want to help out with the World Expo at Upper Allen? Watch for flyers later in the month and future newsletters for more information.
Arrival and Dismissal at Upper Allen
Students are to arrive between the times of 7:30 - 7:45 AM.
- Parent car drop off will occur in the parking lot loop at the front of the building. Staff will be there to help monitor students.
- For safety purposes, students should exit cars on the passenger side toward the sidewalk. Parents are to remain in the cars.
- Drop off will take place between the orange cones
- Cars will be directed to loop around in front of the middle school before entering Upper Allen's parking lot.
- Buses will drop off students at the side road and bus riders will cross the playground before entering doors at the back of the building.
- Students should not arrive prior to 7:30 AM
- Students arriving after 7:45 are to be walked into the school by a parent and signed in.
Car Rider dismissal will begin at 2:22 PM
- Parents picking up Car Riders are to loop around the middle school parking lot before entering the loop in front of the school.
- Staff will be on hand to direct traffic
- Parents are asked to write their child's name on a piece of paper to be displayed inside the windshield or on the passenger side window. Staff will call student names into the school and students will dismiss when their parent arrives.
Bus Rider Dismissal will begin at 2:20
- Students will board the buses on the side road near the playground.
Important Dates- new dates added weekly
First Week of School Information
Monday, August 30
- First Day of School for students with last name beginning with A-K
Tuesday, August 31
- First Day of School for students with last name beginning with L-Z
Wednesday, September 1
- Second Day of School for students with last name beginning with A-K
- Faculty Meeting 3:00-4:15
Thursday, September 2
- Second Day of School for students with last name beginning with L-Z
- NO SCHOOL – Labor Day Weekend - school closed Friday, 9/3 and Monday, 9/6
Thursday, September 9
- Back To School Night 6:-7:30 p.m. (Adults Only)
Wednesday, September 15
- Curriculum Connections 3:00
A Message from Nurse Walker
A few reminders as we prepare for the school year.
Dentals Exams - Mandated for all students entering 3rd grade. We will accept dental exams from one year prior to the current 2021/22 school year. Please email, fax ( 717-691-2474) or drop off the completed forms at the beginning of the 2021/22 school year. Forms may be accessed via www.mbgsd.org or by the link below. These exams may be conducted by your private dentist or by the Mobile Dentist. The Mobile Dentist will be visiting MASD in the spring of 2022. Please contact your nurses if you would like to have your student seen by the Mobile Dentist.
Medication/Health Care Plans: If your student has any medication or emergency health care plan needs during the school year, please have the appropriate form(s) completed by their medical provider over the summer. Medications brought into school must have the prescription label attached as well as a written order by their medical provider. Medication orders and emergency care plans are required to be renewed every school year. Please make arrangements to have the medication and/or emergency plans to the nurse on or before 1st day of school.
All forms may be accessed via the district website www.mbgsd.org or by the link below.
We are so excited to start planning activities and events for the 2021-2022 school year. Be sure to follow us on Facebook at Upper Allen Elementary PTO to stay up to date on meetings and events.
The PTO is a great way to get involved in the school- Join us!
First meeting is scheduled for September 14 from 7-8, we hope to see you there!
Girls on The Run
Upper Allen and Shepherdstown Girls on the Run Team is Accepting Applications!
At Girls on the Run, we inspire ALL girls to build confidence and make intentional decisions, while fostering care and compassion for self and others. Trained coaches use physical activity and dynamic discussions to build social, emotional and physical skills in every girl while encouraging healthy habits for life. This fall, Girls on the Run is returning to Upper Allen and Shepherdstown Elementary Schools with a combined THIRD GRADE team. Practices will be held on Tuesdays/Thursdays, 2:45 – 4:15 beginning September 21st. Our team will meet in person at Upper Allen and will adhere to all mitigation expectations. Girls who wish to participate should apply on the Capital Area GOTR website: https://www.capareagirlsontherun.org prior to our September 21st start date. If you have questions about Girls on the Run or our Upper Allen/Shepherdstown team, please contact Julia Young (email@example.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WANTED: GUEST TEACHERS and Cafeteria Aides
Guest Teacher: Mechanicsburg Area School District is pleased to announce an exciting program where you may be able to qualify as a Guest Teacher in our school district. Guest Teachers serve as substitute teachers in the absence of the regular classroom teacher. There are opportunities across all grade levels.
Cafeteria Aide: Looking for a part time job during the school day? If you enjoy children and want to earn a little extra income for your family, this might be a great opportunity for you.
To learn more about becoming a Cafeteria Aide or a Guest Teacher, please visit our website at www.mbgsd.org,
Click on District Services, then choose Human Resources or contact Britny Hopkins, Human Resources Coordinator at 717-506-0863 or email@example.com.
Welcome to Upper Allen First Grade Students!
Please click the link below to view our welcome video for 1st graders that will attend Upper Allen in the fall.