Mrs. Jones' Reading Class
Sequencing and Summarizing
In addition to sequencing and summarizing, we will be visiting the media center this week to work with Mrs. Bennett on Information and Media Literacy skills. These skills are especially important because they comprise 45% of the Reading Criterion Referenced Competency Test.
Thursday, November 21 Summarizing Exercises 25 - 26
All homework is due the day after it is assigned.
How to Help Your Child with Reading
by reading the same passage as the child and then ask questions such as;
- What is the main idea?
- Why do you think ________________? How do you know that?
- What is the meaning of the word _____________________? What were the context clues that helped you know that?
- Can you summarize what you read?
3. Children need a quiet area to read. Turn off any electronic devices and distractions to
allow your child optimal quiet.
4. There are many online reading games that children love to play. I've listed a few in this
newsletter. A great website for children is www.gamequarium.com. Remember that word games also improve reading skills.