Bayside News - October 22nd
#Reunited on the Rebound!
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- 10/22- VIRTUAL Grandparent's Day - See our link below to access our virtual celebration!
- 10/25-10/29- Spirit Week (see information below)
- 10/29- Fall Celebration and 1 PM Dismissal
- 11/1- All Schools Close for Staff Development
- 11/2-1 PM Dismissal for Parent Conferences
- 11/3- 1 PM Dismissal for Parent Conferences
Virtual Grandparents Day Options
Fall Celebration Information
Bayside is planning to hold a school-wide Fall Celebration activity for the students, however, this year’s activity will look different due to our current restrictions. The Bayside staff and leadership team feel that it is important to try to provide this opportunity for students even though we are having to make adjustments. Here are the details of our plan:
The event will be for staff and students only. Please understand that due to current restrictions, we cannot accommodate visitors/spectators for our Fall celebration.
The Fall celebration will be held on Friday, October 29th, which is an early dismissal day.
Classes will have a special teacher-led Fall activity and snack (provided that it is store-bought and pre-packaged) however, we will not be holding our typical “party”.
Students who want to participate should bring an appropriate costume. Please make sure that student costumes are age-appropriate and do not include blood, gore, weapons, and/or large props. Costumes need to be able to go ON TOP of clothing.
Students should not wear costume-related masks, or any part of their costume to school that would keep them from boarding, disembarking, or sitting safely on the school bus.
If you do not wish for your child to participate in the Fall Celebration or costume-related activities, we will work with them to provide an alternate learning activity. Please contact your child’s teacher if this is the case, and we will be happy to honor your request.
Please reach out to your child’s teacher or to Ms. Welch should you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your support!
Spirit Week - October 25th-29th
End of Day Transportation Reminders
- Early Dismissal Days- Please send us a note in writing if your child's transportation home will be changed on our 1 PM dismissal days. We have several coming up in the next few weeks. Thanks so much for your help with this!
- Bus Assignments- Parents are reminded that students must ride their assigned bus. Vacations, temporary work assignments, social events, riding to a friend’s home, or other foreseen events will not be approved for change in bus assignment.
- IF you need to pick your child up early for an appointment, we ask that you please do so NO LATER THAN 3:00PM. We will not be able to release students after 3:00 PM for early dismissal as the office staff is preparing for regular dismissal. This will also ensure that you are able to get your child and exit the school property prior to parents lining up for regular dismissal. Please send a note with your child to let the teacher and the front office know if you need to pick up your child early for an appointment.
- Afternoon Parent Pick-Ups- Please note the following:
- Please STOP prior to any intersections for the bus loops at BES and KIES so that they are not blocked. Please remember that the buses are pretty large vehicles and need more space than the average vehicle to safely move through a line of traffic. Blocking the intersections will only delay our dismissal as well as you receiving your child. We appreciate your patience and your assistance with this !
- We also ask that parents please take turns entering the school driveway to allow both directions of traffic access. This will help to alleviate back-ups in either direction.
Bayside thanks the Rotary Club of Kent Island!
The Rotary Club members help young people get the skills and experience they need to make
a real difference in the lives of others. They offer both service clubs and programs to help students and young professionals strengthen their leadership skills, expand their world understanding, and make new friends. Rotary of Kent Island supports multiple projects within our community including college scholarships for High School seniors, food backpacks for elementary children, and opioid awareness. Bayside Elementary has again been the recipient of school supplies that the Rotary Club graciously provided to the school. Without question, all students know they can get any needed school supplies now or midyear. Bayside staff and students thank the Rotary Club of Kent Island.
Veteran's Day is Going Virtual at Bayside!
Bayside Elementary is excited to announce that we will be hosting our annual Veteran's Day assembly this year on November 11, 2021, through a virtual presentation. We hope that students will create a poem about Veteran’s Day. One student per grade will share their poem via the presentation. Bayside Elementary is asking all of you to share a picture of an active or retired family member/friend. These pictures should be sent by email to kathy.fowler@qacps org. (Please do not send the pictures with your student to school as we do not have the staffing available to scan them.) We look forward to hosting this virtual presentation to honor our special veterans!
Health News From Nurse Jessie
Still need the flu- mist?
The deadline to send in the form for your child to receive the flu mist here at school has passed. However, If you missed it and are still interested in having your child receive the flu vaccine, access the link below for more information:
COVID RELATED QUESTIONS?
This "Now What" document has some handy information in the event your
child/children test positive for Covid-19, or has been determined
to be a close contact of a positive case. The guidance can be so
confusing, and this document simplifies things a bit!
PLEASE KEEP YOUR CHILD HOME IF HE/SHE IS NOT
FEELING WELL! Siblings should be kept home as well. Please
call the school for further instructions on how to proceed, in
accordance with guidelines from the Maryland State Department of
Education and Maryland Department of Health.
Let’s work together to mitigate the spread of illness and
unnecessary absence, for ALL of our students!
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time!
(Jessica Snoberger, RN)
First In Math Recognition
Bayside Elementary is very excited to witness the high participation of students utilizing the First in Math program. This program allows students to practice and master essential mathematical skills. Students can use this program on any device with internet access. We would like to share the results for the month of September.
Grade 3 is Mrs. Rickabaugh's class with 406 stickers per student and a total of 26,805 stickers
Grade 4 is Mrs. Sonneveldt's class with 389 stickers per student and a total of 104,166 stickers
Grade 5 is Mr. Sage's class with 157 stickers per student and a total of 56,508 stickers
Many students have earned certificates for attaining 1,000 or more stickers. Continue
to encourage your student to use this program as it does improve academic performance.
The October Character Pillar of the Month is TRUSTWORTHINESS. Check out the link for a fun video on what trustworthiness means!
We Need Your Help!!
Do you like to volunteer and help in the school? Would you like to help make a difference in each and every classroom? Become a Character Counts! Coach today!! We are looking for enthusiastic role models to help develop positive character in our youth here in the Queen Anne’s County Schools. Training and resources are available for lesson plans. Contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-758-6677 to get started today!
Children's / Youth Book Drive
Support our Bayside PTA!
This school year is off to a great start as everyone settles into their new routines! We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join the Bayside Elementary PTA by clicking Membership Signup and tell you a little about it.
The Officers for the 2021/2022 school year are: Jennifer Ajello - President, Nikki Kennedy - Secretary, and Amy Hull - Treasurer.
There have been some changes within the organization of PTA's in Maryland. As you may have heard, there are now two branches of the MD PTA. We at Bayside will fall under the new Free State PTA, which allows us to continue to be under the National PTA.
By joining the Bayside PTA, your membership will allow us to continue to provide the following: Teacher Grants, 5th grade t-shirts, Teacher Appreciation Week, Assemblies, Scholastic Book Fair, Portable laptop carts for teachers, and much more!
Have a great weekend!
Jenni, Nikki, & Amy
Bayside Elementary PTA