By Aisha Kabba
About Wind Energy
Wind energy is a renewable energy that uses the wind and sun to generate electricity. Although this energy cannot produce as much electricity as coal and nuclear energy, it is powerful enough to generate enough to power 1million homes. Wind energy has been used for over 2000 years and to day is used in more than 75+ countries. This is a sustainable energy source.
How does it work?
- The wind turns the blades around and around.
- The blades shaft inside the turbine, even though the shaft is big it turns slowly.
- The shaft is connected to a number of gears which helps the smaller shaft spin quicker.
- This smaller shaft drives the electrical generator which generates the electricity that is used in homes.
Reasons why we should use this energy source more
1. I believe we should use the wind turbines more often because unlike coal, it creates no pollution at all and is a renewable and sustainable source. It is environment friendly and is useful.
2.I also believe we should use wind mills more often because people put a lot of effort and energy in to make the wind mills which take about 5 years to make. The source also helps up reduce our bill so that we can have electricity in our homes.
Where can we wind turbines?
We can find wind turbine in: